Sony DVP-NS900 @ Richer Sounds

motta_lunn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Sony DVP-NS900 models that Richer Sounds are selling have the RGB Scart problem? Or are they selling the batch with the fix already in place?

Also, are their multi-region models done via the remote HEX codes or a hardware mod? Macrovision disabled? CGMS?

Thanks.

motta_lunn
Did you find out any more about the multiregion mod on the DVP-NS900? I am about to buy one and will have to pay an extra £50 for the multiregion hack. If this is only a remote hack then I think £50 is a bit pricey. I know that Sony DVD players of old had to be chipped.

Cheers

Fungus
:confused:

Hello.

I did not find out more about their multi-region methods I'm afraid but I did buy one. It came in black and looked totally brand new. I would guess they used the remote hex codes to modify it but they said it was chipped. From looking at the wrapping and the player itself, I would seriously doubt that it was chipped. There was no creases on the wrapping or anything.

I did not really want the multi-region verison but that is all they had left. I would recommend the player, it is a sold piece of A/V equipment. It is a European model and comes with a UK mains plug converter and an english manual too. I tried R1 disks (not RCE titles) and they played perfectly. All my DVD-R's worked perfect too. Try and get one in Silver if you can.

Let me know how you get on.

motta_lunn
Thanks for the reply. I have also ordered one from Richer Sounds and am waiting for delivery. I ordered black to suit the rest of my kit. I have used a Sony DVP 725 for 3 years and have been very happy with the quality of RGB picture produced. Unfortunately my ex-girlfriend and I split up recently and she took the 725 with her, so I have had a Toshiba SD 510e on loan from Richer. It is a nice piece of kit but the picture quality is not as good as the 725. I thought £250 for the DVP NS900 at Richer was good value for multiregion and £200 for R2. However, if the mr hack is via remote control then I think the extra £50 is a rip off. I have a widescreen TV and am also concerned about the RGB switching problem. I think I read that you are using a 4:3 TV and do not have this problem. Good to hear that you are happy with your purchase. I wonder has anyone else on the forum any comments on these issues (apart from those posted already). I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Fungus:)

I didn't know Richer Sounds were selling the Sony DVP-NS900? Could you send me the link? How much are they selling it for?

videonastie
Have a look at the Richer add in the latest edition of What HiFi Sound & Vision. £200 R2 or £250 mr. You will not find this price on their website or in-store. It looks as though the mr hack is via remote, so presuming that Richer have the remote hack codes, this is bloody expensive. I think i will have to enter into negotiations before I complete the purchase.

Cheers

Fungus :mad:

Hello.

I would have liked to get the Silver model, but black looks cool too.

Yes, I only have 4:3 televisions. I did set the output on the Sony DVP-NS900V to 16:9 and naturally via RGB. I watched the film for about 10 mins just to see if anything would happen but nothing did, everything was normal. Not sure if that's of any help.

Yes, I agree paying an extra £50 just to send a few signals via a remote is expensive but overall £250 is well worth it. You're going to get the same mod near enough, barring macrovision disabled maybe, FBI warning skip etc over a hardware mod. CGMS is still there. I'm only assuming they used the remote hex codes, don't know for a fact bear in mind. Let us know what you find out.

videonastie: BUY ONE!

motta_lunn
Thanks once again. dvdchipsuk specify modification of the NS900 as a chipped remote hack. I agree that £250 is still a good price for what is a classy machine.

videonastie
I think £200 for the R2 is a steal. Like motta_lunn says, buy one! My only gripe was paying £50 for a modification for multiregion playback which involves pointing a remote control at the player for a second.

Are you saying that when Techtronics say the DVD player is chipped, they are pointing a remote & pressing a button?

Or do they fit a chip?

Most DVD players need to have a hardware modification inorder to make them Multi-region.

However, the Sony DVP-NS900V (and I think the others in this range) can be modified via special remote programmed with HEX codes. So no need to open them and play about with the insides. This remote hack only applied to that seasons range and I think does not work with the new Sony DVP-NS905V. Normally, Sony players are very strict and require a hardware mod.

I have this player and can recommend it.It cost me nearly £400 chipped when i got it.For £200 R2 you cant go wrong.

btw,whats this RGB problem?....is t something to do with a dark picture,cos recently i watched Panic Room and it was very dark.
Thanks....

Just to avoid confusion, the NS905 uses the same sort of remote hack. Whether it's the same hack I don't know, but I've got one and it's definately MR on a service remote hack.

Im really close to either buying this player or the Pioneer 656a everyone seems to be going nuts over. What is the CD playback like on the Sony? Apparently the Pioneers CD quality is equal to a £200 seperate CD player. I want a DVD player to match the Pioneer VSX 811 which Im also Very close to buying.

Thanx:)

The CD playback on the Sony is very good.Its better than my dedicated Marantz CD player,although it is 10 years old.

The other thing is the Sony is probably the best looking DVD player out there,very stylish....:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom