Sony DVP-NS900 @ Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by motta_lunn, Oct 30, 2002.

1. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Sony DVP-NS900 models that Richer Sounds are selling have the RGB Scart problem? Or are they selling the batch with the fix already in place?

Also, are their multi-region models done via the remote HEX codes or a hardware mod? Macrovision disabled? CGMS?

Thanks.

2. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hey

I got mine from Richer Sounds on Saturday, He said that the Region hack was a chip BUT, before I took the player out of the shop he said that he had to 'test' the mod to see if it was working or not!!!! I wonder if that was just a ploy to take the player upstairs and remote hack it!!!!!!

I know that the player is RCE compatible but I have no idea if it has the switching problem as I don't have a widescreen TV!!!

Cheers

Chris

3. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply.

I reserved mine today, I couldn't believe they actually had some in stock!!! That was a stroke of some very good luck me thinks.

I will only be using 4:3 televisions with it, so you think the RGB Scart switching problems will be OK?

Also, mine will be a Silver Euro model. What was yours?

4. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hey

Mine was a black one, I also couldn't believe it when I went in there on a VERY busy saturday afternoon and they actually had one in stock!!!! I went in on the previous Tuesday and they said that they had no idea when they were getting any in so I asked them to ring me when they got hold of one, I never received a phone call but I was passing on my way home so called in on the off chance and they had one left :D

I think the Switching problem was only when you used it with a Widescreen TV + I think the problem has now been resolved.

Enjoy, It is a great machine, although, At the bottom of my screen I get a thin white line when playing some DVD's, Can you let me know if you have the same problem?

Cheers

Chris

5. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine today and it was actually black. The guy was mistaken, oh well still very nice none-the-less. Yesterday he said he had about three of four, just had the stock in that very same day!

I played a few DVD-R's, DVD's and CD's and all seems well. I looped my Gamecube via RGB through the second scart and worked perfect. I didnae actually notice any lines on the screen. I take it would be only with 4:3 films or ones that allow the image to be pan-and-scanned as opposed to appearing in letterbox mode. I will investigate more for you.

Did you get a SACD demo with yours? I think you get one with the official UK stock but mine did not have it, not sure if European CE stock have any?

6. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hey

No, I didn't get an SACD demo disc :( but I borrowed by mates :D

I saw a guy buying the DVP-NS700 and that had a huge sticker on the box saying 'free SACD demo disc'

The line appears only when playing widescreen films, it is at the bottom of the bottom black bar!!!!

If you turn the contrast/brightness down the line dissapears, could you try turning the your contrast/brigtness up for me to see if it is there????

Cheers

Chris

7. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I can't really see any black or white line I'm afraid but I don't think you should worry as I don't think it's a fault. When I put on "Snatch" in pan-and-scan, I see a little black line at the bottom. I got this with my Toshiba player as well. If the line is not appearing on the start-up screen or the menus then don't worry, if it is annoying you then give Richers Sounds a wee visit and see what they can do. Ask them to reserve you another one if they are getting more in stock.

Try it with a different tv and see if that makes any difference? Are you viewing your movies in RGB mode? That usually shifts the image a little upward and to the left. This might cause the problem.