Sony Dvp-ns76h

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevinsmith98, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rhys89

Rhys89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just got home, and what can i say? WOW!!! i mean OMG! its so much smaller than it looks, the picture is brilliant compared to standard! trust me buy 1!!! I just watched pulp fiction on it, and "That scene" looks brilliant lol. Also my 1966 dvd look brilliant. If you are struggling to get a hold of one, the local shop where i live in Suffolk takes telephone orderrs and delivers for £4, so if you want the phone number, just ask, btw its £87.99

2. scoopex

scoopex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Who needs an expensive HD-DVD/BLU-RAY player to upscale normal dvds to 1080i when this Sony dvd player can do the same job for under £100.

:thumbsup:

3. PinnerFox

PinnerFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no one has a bad thing to say seems unique for a sub £100 machine.
    :thumbsup:

4. gazzaputt

gazzaputt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just like to say if you have it watch Monsters Inc on this box.

5. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Noticed while watching a dark scene in Back to the Future 2 ( headstone bit) that there were white horizontal lines, most evident on the doc's dark coat.
    Switching to component seemed to remove this effect.
    I then, back to HDMI changed from Cinema 1 to Normal.
    This again seemed to solve the problem.
    This was only visible very close up to the screen.
    I watched two of the Future films on the Normal setting and found the picture superb.

I have not seen this effect on any other 'dark' films (Batman for example).. maybe it is actually on the DVD itself.Can someone check it out on theirs?

6. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WGLOVER, I will give that a look on my setup and see.

As for faults? Well I did find one (!!!) but it's not serious. There is an audio to picture sync problem if you select surround (on the DVD) to be anything but "OFF". It only shows on some dvds though (so far I only noticed on 'SPACED' which is a TV show so perhaps it's something to do with the film vs video thing.

Anyway it was solved by making sure the sound setting was off with no processing. Note the Sync adjust doesn't fix this as it's for delays the other way around (adjusting it made it worse). Also it's worth pointing out this could be down to my HDMI cable and TV setup aswell.

Still pleased with PQ, Still flicking between Cinema 1 and Dynamic 2 depending on dvd.

7. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested BTTF2 graveyard scene (and some other dark ones) and couldn't see horizontal white lines anywhere. I used every setting on the DVD to test it (including Cinema 1 and BNR/MNR on and off) It all looked perfectly fine. Sharp and nicely black from the correct distance and up close, more naturally artifact-y but no lines.

It may be your lead or your TV (interference from somewhere?) because I know on my tosh the RGB scart is a known problem that shows scrolling horizontal 'crosstalk' lines on very dark scenes (but I don't use scart now I have hdmi ;) ).

Maybe check if your TV model has a known problem with that. can you still reproduce it 100% when you switch to cinema 1?

Disc seems fine, Player looks fine over HDMI obv this is on a toshwlt66 so it's the only thing that is different (apart from the hdmi lead - mine is a belkin pureav).

8. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The headstone scene is the only time I noticed this effect and I have watched a fair few 'dark' DVDs to look for it.
    I'm using the HDMI lead supplied by Telewest, the posh one being used on the TVDrive.
    I will have another dabble tonight.

The effect is very faint, and you have to be very close to see it.

9. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did get very close and still couldn't see it. From the normal viewing distance it obviously isn't a problem for you anyway? Hopefully it was a random thing and all will be well for you later ;)

Having worked in software QA I got used to looking at things on screen closely for hours on end, hunting down faults so I'm sure I would have seen it if it was there (even if pretty subtle)*

*but I could be wrong and having an off day :rotfl:

Anyway, nice player and for the price a BARGAIN.. also should be pretty robust as my previous Sony DVD player has lasted well for over 5 years.

10. Tomaz25

Tomaz25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I also own this dvd player and would like to know if there is a chance of upgrading it for divx/xvid movies? It can play them but the subtitles are really small. Is there a way to fix that?
    Is there any upgrade available for it yet? Dont even know on what chip it is based. Maybe MTK?

Thanks

11. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Like you, I am delighted with it.
    The lines are not a problem. When will I watch that scene again, even from a sensible distance?
    It's not apparent anywhere else. Maybe my system has an aversion to gravestones.:)

Do you find your posh cable makes any difference?

12. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the cable making a difference over a £10 generic one as It's the only HDMI cable I have. It makes a difference compared to Scart for sure! :)

The reason I got the belkin is I was desperate for a lead to hook it up and it's the only one I could find in the shop. It was probably overpriced (it is NOT the top spec pureAV + extra gubbins just their basic pure av range ~ £35).

I imagine any decent quality HDMI cable would give similar results, and I don't think there is any need for a £100+ cable for digital, though that depends on the length you need I suppose (I only got the short 1.8m as that's all I need, and short is best when it comes to signals!).

13. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys n gals (mostly guys I suspect ;) ) - I have just reviewed my Tosh LCD TV on my blog, but it shows in a couple of shots the aforementioned 'Back To The future 2' via the Sony NS76H and a bit of detail on DVD performance with the combination (should apply to any decent LCD/PLASMA set up with this Player).

Hope someone finds it of use if considering this bargain price gadget! :)

Review (Toshiba 32wlt66 / Sony DVP-NS76h)

14. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ordered mine earlier :clap:
    looking forward to seeing it on the Bravia!!!

15. Bally26

Bally26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if anyone knows is Sony intend to release this DVD player in black in the UK. I have checked everywhere and have only seen it being sold in silver in the UK.

16. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    mines just arrived :clap:

just got to wait till i get home from work to try it out :suicide:

17. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Playing around, as one does, and decide if the component output is better than the HDMI or not. Switching delay makes it difficult to judge.
    Both settings are very good. My component leads are Monster and cost nearly as much as the Sony. My HDMI lead is the one supplied by Telewest.

Does anyone know if the component output is also upscaling, as provided, apparently by the Sky HD box.

With all of the options provided by the Sony and the Panasonic, it is difficult to know what is best.

Fortunately, this is nitpicking, but the better it is, the more you want.
    HD on Telewest, especially the live BBC output, is brilliant and sets the standard.
    Upscaling can only ever be second best, but what a good second best.

The lines on back to the future scene I mentioned earlier are still there, but nowhere else.
    I feel that they are on the DVD, but require a particular set of circumstances to be 'just' visible from 1 foot away.
    Not an issue. It doesn't happen on anything else, including later scenes on Back to the Future.

All I need is more time to watch some DVDs, with all this HD football and stuff to watch.

18. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No it isn't - it only deinterlaces it. My TV reports 576p via component, and I found the 1080i HDMI output to be significantly better. However, results may vary depending on the TV of course.

19. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well , I hooked mine up tonight and plugged in the component leads (Belkin), and I just popped Mr and Mrs Smith in... to be honest it looks no better than my old DVD player (Sony 725) through scart... not sure what I am missing, but it looks overly sharp and quite disappointing. I assume you can adjust settings or something?

Anyone running through components give me advice as to what are the best settings?
    many thanks

20. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    This is the problem. Scart is only as good as it can be.
    It's the other outputs that make the difference.

HDMI or component are the best. Hdmi is totally digital and so should be less prone to interference, cross talk, etc.
    However, the upscaling thing is contraversial.
    What does it better, a £1300 Tv or a £100 DVP?

I have my Sony set to auto, let them fight it out. Looks blooming good to me.
    Watching Spider Man 1 at the moment. Brilliant!!

On this forum, so far, nobody seems unhappy with this Sony. Other forums on other Sonies(?) and other brands
    have had major problems.

This one looks to be a winner.

Ps. still looking at Auto setting, still brilliant.

Sony have a winner here.

21. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    hi mate, I have the bravia V40, and I basically just plugged in all the component leads into it and tried it. Is there anything I should look out for? Is the auto setting on the TV or the player?

22. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    woah..... now just been and had a mess around. I reset the settings for the AV4 that I had set for my 360.
    Then I booted up Mr and Mrs Smith again and adjusted the mode to Cinema 1, and it looks stunning. I have left off the BNR and the other one, think they are noise reduction. Are they worth switching on?
    Very impressed with the image quality through component now!!!
    Gonna try an animation next I think.

23. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    If you are using component, as stated by one of our friends earlier, the auto doesn't apply.
    Your TV does the upscaling. There is a setting for component, progressive (no) auto (maybe) and (I forget) yes.
    If you have a good upscaling TV the picture should be very good.
    I have found that my TV and the Sony are very good at almost all the combinations of inputs.

My favourite settings may not be yours, use your eyes and if you like what you see, keep it.

This Sony is just very good, and whatever your TV, you can get very satisfying pictures.

If your TV is not so good at upscaling, the Sony will improve things, if your TV is good the Sony will comply.

Just enjoy.

God, can't I talk.

24. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    appreciate that WGLover.
    have just tried a few films.
    Ep 3 looked stunning, Shrek 2 looked stunning especially. Tried King Kong and that looked very similar to when I watched it through my 360.

I then attached the HDMI lead that is currently used for Sky HD. To be honest its difficult to see a difference. They both look that good. I was considering getting a switch box but theres no point if I can't really see a difference. Someone who knows what to look for might see a difference, but I am happy as is. :clap:

25. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    anyone know how to set it to progressive via the remote? Keep forgetting to hit the button on the front of the player and have to go back to it.

26. piedro

piedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here who has this player combined with a LG 26LX2R or 32LX2R? I'm curious about the quality when attached with a HDMI cable.

cheers

27. rusty mechanic

rusty mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i've got the sony connected via hdmi to my lg 32lx2r outputing 1080 and all i can say is that the picture is stunning. the only problem that i have found is that i can't stop watching dvd's.:thumbsup:

28. husax

husax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the threads, this seems to be the best player available now in this price range. I have some questions regarding divx playback.

Is the size of Divx subtitles acceptable? some have small fonts which makes them unreadable.

Does it play divx with AC3 and idx/sub subtitles?

Thanks in advance

29. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Once set on machine front, progressive is always on. You would have to push it again to turn off. HDMI is always set to output prog scan. You cannot set via remote on setup menus.

30. simonhughes

simonhughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is it possible to set the HDMI ouput manually or does the player automatically send the highest quality the display can handle, without the user being able to alter it? :confused:

I'd quite like to leave it on 576p as I'm not too worried about upscaling (I do want the HDMI connection as I got carried away on ebay and bought a lead!) but want a new player to replace my 5 year old non progressive machine.

I had the Toshiba 350e before and that defaulted every time it was switched on to 1080i and was very tempremental when trying to change it (quite often gave a snow screen on 576p and wouldn't display the picture until half way through the film! :suicide:

Can anyone also confirm some questions about the audio?

- Can I have audio through the digital out and HDMI at the same time?

- Can the player send MP3 music via the digital out or does it need additional annalogue connections?

Thanks in advance