Sony Dvp-ns76h

steve-p said:
Mine was done using Sony's master remote which is actually just a learning remote, but who knows what it sends.
erm, where do I get one of them from? :confused:

To MR the dvd player you can use the DVP-NS hack (its on a sticky somewhere in the forum) using a learning remote you can buy in any tv shop (harmony? one4all?). I haven't done it myself nor need to yet but that is what I heard (and it may be wrong) ;)

As for settings, I have set to Cinema 1, Sharpness 1 also (I agree that sharpness off is more blurry of course). I also like dynamic2/cinema2 if I am going for extra vibrancy (at the expense of some subtley). I have it set to 1080i and component (HDMI), as I did read that possibly the TV could work better downscaling from 1080i than upscaling from 576 - it's all very subtle differences though to my eye. Overall, however, the combination of tweaked TV and Sony DVD player with HDMI connection is pretty sweet. 'Back to the future 2' where Marty walks around looking at Hill Valley for the first time (in the future) with the texaco garage, the holo-shark, and esp his colourful/shiny hat was a very good test of the settings and it now looks great! I went through quite a few dvds, tweaking to get the best overall (including adjusting the Tosh settings) and am well pleased with it now.

We seem to have come to an agreed standard.
Funnily enough, it was Back to the Future 2 that I was trying it on last night.

One improvement over SD stuff, is that LCD TVs fade when you move off axis, but the effect is greatly reduced when watching the sony. Also, I was watching from 1 foot away and was mighty impressed with the picture.
Should any of the TV mags. pan this player, it must be because they know not what they do.

hi, sorry to sound like a Noob, but does running it through a HDMI Socket make the picture a lot better compared to a regular scart???

Also would this DVD player work alright with a Sagem 45" DLP HD TV???

Appreciate any responses a lot.

steve-p said:
You can't, unless you know someone who works for Sony on the technical side.

I purchased a hack of the web which involves downloading onto my laptop, to a floppy disc, enabling the infrared and squirting it at the Sony. I don't think I'll bother.
Probably b*****r them both up.

Picked mine up (multi region) for £99 from a high street sony dealer, ask around.. they're happy to do it if you buy the player from them.

rhys_blingmaste said:
hi, sorry to sound like a Noob, but does running it through a HDMI Socket make the picture a lot better compared to a regular scart???

Also would this DVD player work alright with a Sagem 45" DLP HD TV???

Appreciate any responses a lot.

Way better than a RGB scart.
If your Sagem is is HD ready, yes.

hi, just want to say thnaks for such a quick response, im now leaving my house to go to the high street to pick it up from Digital electricals who managed to get their hands on some of these.

rhys_blingmaste said:
hi, just want to say thnaks for such a quick response, im now leaving my house to go to the high street to pick it up from Digital electricals who managed to get their hands on some of these.

Let us know how you find it.

just got home, and what can i say? WOW!!! i mean OMG! its so much smaller than it looks, the picture is brilliant compared to standard! trust me buy 1!!! I just watched pulp fiction on it, and "That scene" looks brilliant lol. Also my 1966 dvd look brilliant. If you are struggling to get a hold of one, the local shop where i live in Suffolk takes telephone orderrs and delivers for £4, so if you want the phone number, just ask, btw its £87.99

Who needs an expensive HD-DVD/BLU-RAY player to upscale normal dvds to 1080i when this Sony dvd player can do the same job for under £100.

:thumbsup:

Just like to say if you have it watch Monsters Inc on this box.

Noticed while watching a dark scene in Back to the Future 2 ( headstone bit) that there were white horizontal lines, most evident on the doc's dark coat.
Switching to component seemed to remove this effect.
I then, back to HDMI changed from Cinema 1 to Normal.
This again seemed to solve the problem.
This was only visible very close up to the screen.
I watched two of the Future films on the Normal setting and found the picture superb.

I have not seen this effect on any other 'dark' films (Batman for example).. maybe it is actually on the DVD itself.Can someone check it out on theirs?

WGLOVER, I will give that a look on my setup and see.

As for faults? Well I did find one (!!!) but it's not serious. There is an audio to picture sync problem if you select surround (on the DVD) to be anything but "OFF". It only shows on some dvds though (so far I only noticed on 'SPACED' which is a TV show so perhaps it's something to do with the film vs video thing.

Anyway it was solved by making sure the sound setting was off with no processing. Note the Sync adjust doesn't fix this as it's for delays the other way around (adjusting it made it worse). Also it's worth pointing out this could be down to my HDMI cable and TV setup aswell.

Still pleased with PQ, Still flicking between Cinema 1 and Dynamic 2 depending on dvd.

I tested BTTF2 graveyard scene (and some other dark ones) and couldn't see horizontal white lines anywhere. I used every setting on the DVD to test it (including Cinema 1 and BNR/MNR on and off) It all looked perfectly fine. Sharp and nicely black from the correct distance and up close, more naturally artifact-y but no lines.

It may be your lead or your TV (interference from somewhere?) because I know on my tosh the RGB scart is a known problem that shows scrolling horizontal 'crosstalk' lines on very dark scenes (but I don't use scart now I have hdmi ;) ).

Maybe check if your TV model has a known problem with that. can you still reproduce it 100% when you switch to cinema 1?

Disc seems fine, Player looks fine over HDMI obv this is on a toshwlt66 so it's the only thing that is different (apart from the hdmi lead - mine is a belkin pureav).

Sharpfish said:
I tested BTTF2 graveyard scene (and some other dark ones) and couldn't see horizontal white lines anywhere. I used every setting on the DVD to test it (including Cinema 1 and BNR/MNR on and off) It all looked perfectly fine. Sharp and nicely black from the correct distance and up close, more naturally artifact-y but no lines.

It may be your lead or your TV (interference from somewhere?) because I know on my tosh the RGB scart is a known problem that shows scrolling horizontal 'crosstalk' lines on very dark scenes (but I don't use scart now I have hdmi ;) ).

Maybe check if your TV model has a known problem with that. can you still reproduce it 100% when you switch to cinema 1?

Disc seems fine, Player looks fine over HDMI obv this is on a toshwlt66 so it's the only thing that is different (apart from the hdmi lead - mine is a belkin pureav).

The headstone scene is the only time I noticed this effect and I have watched a fair few 'dark' DVDs to look for it.
I'm using the HDMI lead supplied by Telewest, the posh one being used on the TVDrive.
I will have another dabble tonight.

The effect is very faint, and you have to be very close to see it.

Well I did get very close and still couldn't see it. From the normal viewing distance it obviously isn't a problem for you anyway? Hopefully it was a random thing and all will be well for you later ;)

Having worked in software QA I got used to looking at things on screen closely for hours on end, hunting down faults so I'm sure I would have seen it if it was there (even if pretty subtle)*

*but I could be wrong and having an off day :rotfl:

Anyway, nice player and for the price a BARGAIN.. also should be pretty robust as my previous Sony DVD player has lasted well for over 5 years.

Hi,

I also own this dvd player and would like to know if there is a chance of upgrading it for divx/xvid movies? It can play them but the subtitles are really small. Is there a way to fix that?
Is there any upgrade available for it yet? Dont even know on what chip it is based. Maybe MTK?

Thanks

Like you, I am delighted with it.
The lines are not a problem. When will I watch that scene again, even from a sensible distance?
It's not apparent anywhere else. Maybe my system has an aversion to gravestones.:)

Do you find your posh cable makes any difference?

WGLOVER said:
Like you, I am delighted with it.
The lines are not a problem. When will I watch that scene again, even from a sensible distance?
It's not apparent anywhere else. Maybe my system has an aversion to gravestones.:)

Do you find your posh cable makes any difference?

I can't comment on the cable making a difference over a £10 generic one as It's the only HDMI cable I have. It makes a difference compared to Scart for sure! :)

The reason I got the belkin is I was desperate for a lead to hook it up and it's the only one I could find in the shop. It was probably overpriced (it is NOT the top spec pureAV + extra gubbins just their basic pure av range ~ £35).

I imagine any decent quality HDMI cable would give similar results, and I don't think there is any need for a £100+ cable for digital, though that depends on the length you need I suppose (I only got the short 1.8m as that's all I need, and short is best when it comes to signals!).

Ok guys n gals (mostly guys I suspect ;) ) - I have just reviewed my Tosh LCD TV on my blog, but it shows in a couple of shots the aforementioned 'Back To The future 2' via the Sony NS76H and a bit of detail on DVD performance with the combination (should apply to any decent LCD/PLASMA set up with this Player).

Hope someone finds it of use if considering this bargain price gadget! :)

Review (Toshiba 32wlt66 / Sony DVP-NS76h)

ordered mine earlier :clap:
looking forward to seeing it on the Bravia!!!

I was just wondering if anyone knows is Sony intend to release this DVD player in black in the UK. I have checked everywhere and have only seen it being sold in silver in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom