Sony Dvp-ns76h

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevinsmith98, Mar 22, 2006.

1. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Can't fault mine.
    PQ, although not quite HD, is very good.
    A have just read a review on the latest Toshiba (360 I think) in What Hi Fi sound and whotsit - they really raved about it.
    I wonder how the Sony would fare in front of these 'golden eyed' reviewers?

2. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Just ordered mine from PRC direct £86.86 + £6.00 delivery (next day) & it's multi-region.

I plan to use mine with a Hitachi PJ TX200 that I am going to order from Discount TV.

I will let you know how I get on.

3. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    is it in stock? the website doesn't seem to say if it is or not :confused:
    And do they deliver to a different address to your card details?

4. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Not sure if you mean the DVD player or the projector?

Anyway with regards to both the DVD player & projector they will only deliver to the cardholders address.

They had several DVD players in stock when I rang this morning at PRC & the projector was also in stock at Discount tv as i've just ordered one.

5. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I've just ordered one myself for a friend. This does look like a decent player and he needed a new DVD player to get the best of his *ahem* discounted HS60 I just delivered last night :)

For £62 with HDMI and component output, does look like a bargain :smashin:

6. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cheers for that, yeah I meant the DVD player. It really does my head in when they won't deliver to a different address... now it means I can't get on efrom there. Have tried two other wites and they are the same. Ah well, if they want to lose out on custom then thats ok with me. :thumbsup:

7. PinnerFox

PinnerFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit confused about the Multi-Region capability - Empire Direct want £81 for a basic one , £95 for multi-region one.

Other web-sites are saying "free multi-region" for £87 (RGB Direct) - is this just a software/menu system hack? i.e "free" anyway?:confused:

8. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I asked PRC Direct did they come supplied to them as Multi-region to which he said "No, we do it ourselves" so I guess my box will have been opened, which I dont mind providing all the bits are all there & it's in excellent condition.

9. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's done using just a remote control. So yes it's free, but only if you know how to do it.

10. scoopex

scoopex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You sould not need to enter a code to set it multi regional as mine plays NTSC dvd fine.

11. hardeep

hardeep
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thumbs up - providing you have a panel of at least 37". This is because the HDMI output shows 2.35:1 material in a narrower letter box than component/scart. I would think on a 32" or smaller panel it would look uncomfortably narrow. Others may disagree.

I must emphasise this is not a fault - like "HDMI shift." The DVD player is actually showing more of the film and it is closer to the correct aspect ratio than what you may be used to. I posted the following in another thread:

I would also say that zooming a 1080i letterbox film from the NS76H on my TH37PX (making it fully 16:9) gives an excellent picture - personally I can't see any difference in quality. Finally the layer change is very quick.

12. woodruff

woodruff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a NS76H, but set the output to 720p for my TH37PX. Should I set the output from the DVD to 1080i even though the resolution of the panel is 720 and the dvd has the option to output at this resolution?

13. hardeep

hardeep
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I played around with the settings - using Revenge of the Sith - and to my mind the 1080i setting was better than 720p.

I seem to remember reading in one of the PX60 threads' that by using a 1080i input you force the PX to scale the input whereas using 720p means that it doesn't do anything. The quality of the PX's scaling results in a better picture - however I may have misunderstood :oops:

14. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try it and see, because the results vary between models. 720p doesn't look as good as 1020i on my JVC panel.

15. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got one of these yesterday (at that price it wasn't even a gamble). I bought it mainly for a HDMI connection and Progressive Scan to replace my aging sony DVPNS400 which has RGB scart output as it's best choice (argh!) and no progressive.

Anyway, very familiar interface (same as my 5 year old previous player) get's the job done nothing special. Plenty of options though.

It is hooked up to a Toshiba 32wlt66 and I'm currently using 1080i upscaling which results in a very sharp, stable picture. It's not night and day over my previous player but i'm sure if I plugged the old one back in I would start to notice more blockiness, less defined edges, more motion blur etc.

Tried Event Horizon, T2, Jurrassic Park 3 (water looks very nice), on a tweaked wlt66 these all look very nice. Overall the picture just feels more "stable" and uniform.

I also notice glass and shiny objects look really good (but that is partly due to the Toshibas good PQ anyway as I saw it to a lesser extent on the old player)

The only thing I'm unsure of is the correct output for the HDMI setting "RGB/COMPONENT"...

Maybe it's in the manual which I will now read :)

Overall a thumbs up for those in the budget end of the market who just need a decent stable good build quality DVD player with the digital/component outputs.

The 6 disc resume is also a great feature and one I will be taking advantage of a lot. :)

16. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  17. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but... I have got the actual paper manual as I said I bought it yesterday ;)

Just been fiddling around with all the settings (which will vary depending on how your TV is set up of course). "Cinema" is suggested for movies but Dynamic looks quite nice too.

What settings are other owners running and are there any that should be steered clear of (like BNR and MNR for example).

18. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I have settled on Cinema 1 sharpness 1 for now. (My Panasonic LCD set to Auto).
    The sharpness 'off' is too blurry.

All the settings are rather similar and watchable, as is component output. I can't decide between 720p and 1080i,
    they are both fine.

The settings are dependent on the TV you have, no combination being the same. Your Toshiba and my Panasonic 32LXD60 are both good at upscaling standard def. and so any improvements (if any) presented by DVP upscaling will be subtle.
    Many TVs are hopeless on SD and could probably benefit more by the DVP upscaling.

19. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    to make it multi region do you just use the remote you get with it or is it done by some IR hack thing? I am gonna order one from Amazon I think, just need to make sure I will be able to watch MR dvd's... also does it play RCE discs?

20. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine was done using Sony's master remote which is actually just a learning remote, but who knows what it sends.

21. PhilNUK

PhilNUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    erm, where do I get one of them from? :confused:

22. steve-p

steve-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You can't, unless you know someone who works for Sony on the technical side.

23. Sharpfish

Sharpfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To MR the dvd player you can use the DVP-NS hack (its on a sticky somewhere in the forum) using a learning remote you can buy in any tv shop (harmony? one4all?). I haven't done it myself nor need to yet but that is what I heard (and it may be wrong) ;)

As for settings, I have set to Cinema 1, Sharpness 1 also (I agree that sharpness off is more blurry of course). I also like dynamic2/cinema2 if I am going for extra vibrancy (at the expense of some subtley). I have it set to 1080i and component (HDMI), as I did read that possibly the TV could work better downscaling from 1080i than upscaling from 576 - it's all very subtle differences though to my eye. Overall, however, the combination of tweaked TV and Sony DVD player with HDMI connection is pretty sweet. 'Back to the future 2' where Marty walks around looking at Hill Valley for the first time (in the future) with the texaco garage, the holo-shark, and esp his colourful/shiny hat was a very good test of the settings and it now looks great! I went through quite a few dvds, tweaking to get the best overall (including adjusting the Tosh settings) and am well pleased with it now.

24. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    We seem to have come to an agreed standard.
    Funnily enough, it was Back to the Future 2 that I was trying it on last night.

One improvement over SD stuff, is that LCD TVs fade when you move off axis, but the effect is greatly reduced when watching the sony. Also, I was watching from 1 foot away and was mighty impressed with the picture.
    Should any of the TV mags. pan this player, it must be because they know not what they do.

25. Rhys89

Rhys89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, sorry to sound like a Noob, but does running it through a HDMI Socket make the picture a lot better compared to a regular scart???

Also would this DVD player work alright with a Sagem 45" DLP HD TV???

Appreciate any responses a lot.

26. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I purchased a hack of the web which involves downloading onto my laptop, to a floppy disc, enabling the infrared and squirting it at the Sony. I don't think I'll bother.
    Probably b*****r them both up.

27. Chewy

Chewy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Picked mine up (multi region) for £99 from a high street sony dealer, ask around.. they're happy to do it if you buy the player from them.

28. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Way better than a RGB scart.
    If your Sagem is is HD ready, yes.

29. Rhys89

Rhys89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, just want to say thnaks for such a quick response, im now leaving my house to go to the high street to pick it up from Digital electricals who managed to get their hands on some of these.

30. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121

Let us know how you find it.