Sony DVP-NS76H won't play AC3 for DivX files...?

sweatyrich

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I recently bought one of these, to upscale to my Sony KDL40X2000.
The picture quality is great, but when I try playing a DivX file that contains AC3 sound, I get the picture but no sound? (but the little Dolby logo does appear in display of the DVD player).

I'm connecting it to the TV via a HDMI cable.

Playing DivX files with MP3 sound works fine, as does playing a regular DVD with DD sound.

I thought I read somewhere that this player could handle DivX with AC3.
Was I wrong?

Can anyone confirm either way for me?

btw - I have rigged the DVD player up to another TV which has an inbuilt 5.1 decoder, connecting it via a SCART and TOSLINK for the sound, but I get the same problem.

Cheers
Rich

Mmm.. I think it should. My Sony DVD player accepts AC3 5.1 fine if I remember, but I have an older&different model than yours.

I have no direct experience, but page 40 in the manual refers to DivX files on CD or DVD and seems to suggest that you can select an audio signal with the audio button on the remote (leftmost on the lowest row). However it doesn't say whether 5.1 can be selected.

Had a reply from Sony about this:

"We can confirm that the DIVX files are not compatible to play back using AC3 audio file types. However You can play back DIVX files but in conjunction with MP3 audio file types only. Subsequently, I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with your DVD player and there is no fault to report."

Even though the player displays the Dolby logo when playing back a DivX with AC3 - but no sound is output.
Why bother if it's not supported !?

Hmmm....

Ah well, have to stick to DivX w/ MP3 then! :censored:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom