Sony DVP-NS76H or Pioneer DV-696

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by [email protected], Dec 19, 2006.

1. Deano@Dublin

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys

I bought a Samsung DVD-HD860 to go with my new Panasonic AX100 projector but had to return it because of a faulty HDMI port. To be honest, I wasn’t overly impressed with the picture quality thru component – progressive scan actually produced a worse image than standard interlaced.

I’m looking to replace it with either a Sony DVP-NS76H or Pioneer DV-696. According to most posts on this forum, both are excellent players. Has anyone ever tested them side by side and come up with a winner? The Pioneer averages about £30 more expensive than the Sony. Is this justified or is the Sony simply better value?

Any advice greatly appreciated. :smashin:

2. Bolander

Bolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can only speak from direct experience with the Sony, which has been excellent but the Pioneer also has a good reputation. As far as I can see the main advantage which would justify the higher price of the Pioneer is the ability to play SACD and DVD Audio discs and output 5.1 audio. Also, unlike the Sony, it is available in black as well as silver.

3. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would the dv-696 fill a 16:9 screen playing Anamorphic DivX, unlike the Sony which letterboxes the movie into 4:3?

4. Greg Mandel

Greg Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Mine does.