Sony DVP-NS730P: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by snocrash, Dec 7, 2003.

1. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there all,

I obtained a Sony DVP-NS730P DVD Deck recently and though it wise to share my experiences with it.

The primary reason for purchasing this deck was the PAL Progressive mode that it offers - all for a very reasonable price.

I have been testing this player with a Panasonic AE300 projector and I must say that I'm utterly impressed. Prior to the Sony I was in the HTPC camp and my observations are indicating that the contest is getting closer and closer - apart from the fact of the Sony being ultra wife-friendly (stick it in and press the button :) ).

The NS730P does need to be calibrated - using something along the lines of AVIA, THX Optimizer (with blue glasses) etc... I prefer to calibrate the picture settings on the DVD Player rather than on the projector for the simple reason that the setting changes are done in the digital domain.

Once the colours and contrast are all 100% the picture output from the Sony is very good. Lots of detail, sharp and its progressive mode is almost flawless. I'll also add that the progressive output (625p on the panny) from the Sony is superior to the AE300's own internal progressive conversion.

The negatives? OK, The Sony's seek times are crap - the laser servo is slow and this leads to any seeking across the disk being somewhat laggy (maybe by using HTPC I've been spoiled - where seeks are lightning fast). For watching a movie this is a none issue - just a bit irritating when doing scene selection etc. - Also layer changes on the Sony are a little average... oh well.

Finally, and this is me being very nit-picky; It seems the Sony output's a very very high-detail and sharp MPEG picture... in some places (e.g., peoples faces some distance from the camera) it looks like it induces a tiny bit of noise into the picture - personally I just think its a lack of filtering or smoothing. On HTPC it seems that the picture may be a tad smoother, more filtered - but with a little loss of detail. Don't get overly worried about this - I'm being extremely critical here and it may just come down to personal taste.

Is the Sony worth it ? Damn right it is. Realistically, the deck costs peanuts and for that kind of money you wont be disappointed - If you want PAL Progressive with a good wholesome picture then you can't go past this player.

happy viewing...

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Last night I used my new 730 to feed my Z2, expecting great things from feeding progressive into the Sanyo .. I was disappointed.

Whether it's the Sony or Sanyo I've yet to decided, but even with progressive output I still see jaggies and other artifacts from time to time .. could be the Sanyo's poor scaling, don't know, but this certainly isn't going to replace my HTPC.

Didn't try with my AE300 which I'm about to sell, maybe the Sony is better feeding a device that doesn't need to scale?

Also found the 730's menu system awful, the setting to select Dolby Digital is buried away in part of the Quick Setup, I spent 1/2 hour trying to figure why my Marantz was seeing a DD signal .. yes, it's in the manual buried away in some obscure section IIRC, but one shouldn't need to pour through 20+ pages just to set a unit up in a pretty common configuration.

Still, I suppose for the price it's not bad for the price .. sadly though the MP3 ability is pretty pointless for me without the ability to play MP3PRO files, I never rip in anything less when forced to use MP3.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Snocrash, I agree with your review. Contrast (picture) needed to be lowerd a notch or two, as did colour. The picture is a little too sharp which results in a bit of ringing/moir on some test patterns. If you don't like the shapness then you can use the "SOFT" DVE mode, and it will filter the upper frequencies. DVD has more of an HD look if you don't use the soft mode, which I prefer. The deinterlacer in the 730 is far from perfect but does a pretty good job at staying in film mode with PAL dvd's. Chroma upsampling (with DVE's snell & wilcox pattern) is good but doesn't look as smooth as a PC using ATI anti-aliased chroma upsampling, some might say it looks better than a PC because the chroma is not softened but it's a matter of opinion. Chroma looks good with normal dvd's, not excessively soft or pixellated. I think the menu's on Sony players are among the best, very easy to use, as is the remote control. I no longer own the 730, but I did have one for a while.

Note: this is my opinion and what it looks like on my Plasma, it might look different on your display.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Has anyone done the St Insurrection intro test with the Sony 730 on a Projector.
    I found this a good tester for de-interlcing, my Toshiba 510 removes all jaggies in the intro, but many budget prog players I have tested failed.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It looked fine when I tried it (PAL version). The player has a button on the front to select interlace, auto progressive, film progressive and video progressive. It's best to watch films in film mode as Auto isn't perfect, but even in film mode it _can_ get it wrong but not very often.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tried all variations of progressive .. it did make a difference but not the great leap forward in picture quality I was expecting based on comments I've read on the subject .. looks like my HCPC won't go into retirement yet.

7. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    snocrash - very interesting comments - I have only had my AE300 around a month using it with a Sony 705 SACD/DVD Player. Certain discs such as National Lampoon's Vacation and Ferris Bueller's Day Off in particular look truly outstanding and far sharper than others such as some of the Bond Films, and the Die Hard films in particular.

Did you have similar experiences with interlaced players with this projector?

Can it look any better - it does look excellent at the moment!

I have been very keen on the Sony 930 as I need SACD and therefore if readers think based on their experience that the Sony de-interlacer is better than the one found in the AE300 I think I will finally upgrade!

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    what the button does?

I mean film mode, progressive, auto and so on?

For instance if I were to watch Region 1 disks what would I select? What for region 2?

Please?

thanks,

Cap:smashin:

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For most films, whether it's R2 or R1, put it in FILM mode. For dvd's made from video sources such as TV shows and making of documentaries, select VIDEO mode.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    So for instance - Band of Brothers, The West Wing et al is best set to video whilst Pirates of the Carribean et al will be best set to film?

Simple.

Thanks,

11. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer to have it on “soft” mode as well (feeding a Z2). It looks more filmic and less digitised on soft. To me it is almost as though the 730 tries too hard on occasion to dig detail up. I was happier with it feeding my 32” tosh tv through component but no prog. scan. Having said that, for the £ its pretty good and I think really the Z2 needs something a bit more refined to fully do it justice.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all due respect mate, I've seen you bring this particular scene up a few times. This is IMO a flagging problem on the disc. It tripped my Iscan pro up on several occasions. And that isn't as budget as some of the de-interlacers that come in todays Pal PS DVD players...however, I tried it on a Yamaha 540 last night (one of the players you said it trips...) and it was faultless through a Sony HS1 PJ...
    I've seen several other discs confuse de-interlacers as well. Off the top of my head, Gangs Of New York, Red Dragon & The Life Of David Gale (all R2) all show jaggies in certain scenes. This is obviously a flagging problem on the disc.

13. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Sony doesn't read the flags on the disc, and neither does the Iscan Pro. They detect what deinterlacing mode to use by analysing the picture.

14. Grendel

Grendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I've recently been given a DVP-NS730P for xmas. I've also been offered a set of Sony SSLAP305ED speakers. Is there much point in using these with the internal 5.1 decoder? I should mention that at present I have no plans to buy a seperate AV receiver.

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    the 730 does not have an onboard decoder.

Thus I suspect you will need to buy an amp/rec if you intend on buying the speakers - which will still need to be connected so some sort of amplification, even if you do not buy an AV rec.

The 930 does have a built in decoder.

Hope this helps,

16. Grendel

Grendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, sorry my mistake. I must have caught up in the previous posts. Should have said DVP-NS705V!