Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony DVP-NS730 - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nabby, Sep 6, 2003.

1. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,174
    I'm looking for a dvd player to replace my Pioneer 515 and wondered if any of you knew anything about the Sony DVP-NS730
    as Techtronics are selling it for £140 with free delivery and it seems to be NTSC and PAL progressive.

Cheers!

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Hi,

I own a SONY DVP NS930, which is bascially a slighty upgraded version of the machine your interested in.

Now i've had some problems with this machine relating to picture problems, and i'm also having issues with the company you mentioned you may want to order with. There are a couple of threads around here that explain my problem and MY opinion of this company, that might make interesting reading for you.

But evaluate everyone's opinions as i'm just one customer out of thousands.

Cheers,

Giz.

3. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,174
    Thanks for the info, Giz. I bought my Pioneer 515 from Techtronics about 4 and a half years ago and didn't have any problems with them or with it, so having read other peoples experiences on this forum I am surprised to see so many complaints about them - but then maybe I was lucky!

They are also selling the Pioneer 565 for £210 which is meant to be an excellent machine, so that's another option I am considering.

4. David M

David M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a 730 from techtronics, it is the 2nd palyer I've bought from them and have not had any problems.

I was toying between the 730 and Pioneer 565 and I plumped for the 730 because it had Progressive scan for both and PAL and NTSC. My TV accepts both these signals and the difference in the picture is considerable (especially the colour). If you don't have a TV that accepts PAL I would get the 565.

Another reason I wasn't that bothered with the 565 is that after looking through the catlogues I only wanted 4 DVD-A and SACD discs. The rest of them are not for my musical taste.

So far 730 no probs, if you want a DVD that outputs PAL and NTSC this is the cheapest by far you can get.

5. Kraken

Kraken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not the case. The Yamaha DVD S540 does both NTSC and PAL Progressive scan, and is only £120.

It's available here.

I've been looking for reviews of either machine, and haven't dug any up yet, so I still don't know which to go for.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That Yamaha looks almost too good to be true, the spec's impressive, wonder what the catch is? :confused:

7. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It does sound very good but cant find a review yet

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone on the forum has had a look at the Yamaha with disappointing results in prog scan mode.

Another pal ps player no-one has checked out yet is the JVC XV-NA77 at about £160 mr.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do a search on Google for "Yamaha DVD S540" (do not search for word Review) - you will find a solid test that somebody has done in Germany. its all in German, but you can click on "Translate" link and Google does a reasonable job.

Basically, the player has lots of good featured but really lets you down in de-interlacing. Aparrently their conclusion is that de-interlacing in PAL-Progressive was disappointing.

My thoughts - i am not sure its worth upgrading now to a new DVD player. It seems many budget - mid level priced DVD players have slipped quality recently, especially disappointing with PAL Progressive.

In a few months time the DVD+RW recorders will become a lot cheaper with many new models enetering the market.
    I believe companies like Lite-On are starting to make the living room DVD recorders at much lower prices!

So it may be worth to wait and buy a nice DVD recorder with PAL progressive.

10. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the whole point of progressive was that the stream is never interlaced. I thought film was stored on a DVD in progressive format and would therfore never require 'de-interlacing'.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVDs are interlaced so they play on TVs etc. which can't handle progressive, displays like plasmas and projectors are non-interlaced devices so somewhere along the line de-interlacing has to occur, the issue is where: the DVD play, the display or a dedicated video processor ... many HT owners use a PC for this job.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony 730 - £128 including next day delivery from here
    I have the Yamaha 540 and found no problems with the de interlacing in Pal PS...did comparisons on Licence To Kill (terrible jaggies in interlaced mode...) Cleaned them up entirely. Star Trek Insurections tripped my Iscan Pro up something chronic but with the 540, no problems...jaggie free.

13. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Sony could easily pack in after acouple of years from my & friends experiences. I would take out extra warrnty if I were you.

14. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're almost right. A decent dvd is encoded with flags which tell you which field is which. However in many dvd's these flags are incorrect as well as bad edits which break the 3:2 or 2:2 cadence (this is more problematic for NTSC and 3:2). Also some films have small sections of video material.

If you rely completely on flags you may end up with seriously bad combing.

However I use and HCPC with Power DVD which is only a flag reading player and have had no problems yet. It also works well with DVD+RW stuff recorded off the tv.

It's not good for video material though - eg Football stuff, Lexx (NTSC).

15. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply calscot.

So if a DVD player is set to output a progressive stream it doesn't interlace then de-interlace (this seems silly) but just combines the fields stored on the disc in a different way. Cheers

16. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I know what I would do (when I've got the funds)
    Buy a PJ together with a Dual Prog scan player, use the two exclusively together.
    keep my existing player for viewing through the telly.

I would like to upgrade my PC to HCPC status but IMO its not cost effective & the fan noise would be distracting. Power DVD (V3) is not that stable on my XP PC either, though DVD's play OK in media player.

I'm not certain though in buying another Sony though, was thinking about the tosh 530 - any opinions?