1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-NS730 96/24 capable?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jurass, Apr 22, 2004.

1. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

In a review on one of the web sites while testing both DVP-NS730 and 930 they said 930's digital out is 96 kHz/24 bit whereas 730 is only 48 kHz/16 bit capable. I bought a 730 recently and yesterday quite accidently fed it with Queen Greatest Hits DVD which includes DTS 96/24 soundtrack. To my surprize my Sony STR-DB790 recognized it correctly. So, is 730's digital out really 96 kHz/24 bit or does the data stream incorporate some information about original nature of the source material which is read by the receiver while the stream is really 48/16?

cheers,
    jurass

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not 100% on this so anyone who is please don't flame me.

I think that as long as the DVD player has a DTS capable digital output then the contents of that DTS bitstream are only relevant at the decode end, ie. the amp/processor. Early DVD players didn't recognise DTS at all because the details hadn't been ratified, but of course most, if not all, current players are DTS capable.
    The clever thing about DTS 96/24 is that if your processor can't decode it you still get 48/20 ( I think it's 20 bits), but if it is 96/24 capable the extra data is 'piggybacked' onto the 48/20 data.

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    gmt steve is right, you dont have to have a 96khz capable DVD player to hear DTS 96/24 at full resolution as it was designed to be backwards compatible. It is streamed out of the player a 48khz resolution and the processor/amp up samples it to 96khz resolution. So either player would be fine.

4. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...so why 930 has a 96/24 output? it needs it neither for CD nor for SACD or does it?

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ahhh, I think there might be some confusion here. Is it possible that you mean the 930 has 96Khz/24bit DACS? If so, this has nothing to do with DTS, it's the spec of the players DACs.

6. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no. it's exactly what I said "96/24 digital output". output in my understanding is a socket/connector/interface. and it is capable of transmitting digital data stream sampled at 96 kHz frequency with 24 bit word length.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    DVD video was originally designed so that it could output a 96khz signal and I think that there might be one or two odd discs out there with 96khz audio. The studios found it was much easier to prevent piracy with a 48khz audio track and so DVD video was kept at 48khz. My Pioneer machine is capable of handling a 96khz signal but you wont find much if any software.