Sony DVP-NS708H Multidisc Resume - Does it really work?

JacknJill

Standard Member
I have heard that this model offers resume play for the last 6 discs played, including after switching off.

I talked to a retailer (who also phoned Sony Technical Support) before purchasing and they stated this function does not work if the unit is unplugged from the mains.:( Can somebody who owns this model please confirm that multi-disc resume will work if switched off and unplugged or does it only work if the unit is left in standby?

I am only interested in this function to work for normal retailed DVD movies.

DVDFSnoopy

Standard Member
I've got an older Sony (NS705V, can't believe it's nearly 6 years old)with this feature and it works great. I can turn the machine off swap discs over fine and it remebers where it was, don't know about the unplugging it though.

AndyCob

I have an older Sony QS DVD player and that still remembered the last place after being unplugged and stored for over 3 months, though I don't know if that is luck or a feature. Depends how the point is stored if an active memory chip that needs power is used then you would expect unplugging for any length of time to cause it to lose the stored point, but if it is passive memory like a the memory used in a usb stick, SD, flash card etc it will probably remember it for years to indefinitely even unplugged.

xit2050

I think the memory is wiped when you unplug it, but not 100% sure.
I have an NS78, which is basically the same model as the NS708.
I'll try it out if I have a chance tonight.

JacknJill

Standard Member
Many thanks for the replies.:thumbsup: I suppose the question is what does "switching off" mean - just to standby or mains power?

Hopefully xit2050 will come up with the final answer.

xit2050

Many thanks for the replies.:thumbsup: I suppose the question is what does "switching off" mean - just to standby or mains power?

Hopefully xit2050 will come up with the final answer.

I can already tell you that it works flawlessly when putting it in standby, i.e. when the cable is not unplugged.
Don't need to try that out, because I've seen it in action countless times.

JacknJill

Standard Member
Many thanks for that xit2050.:smashin: I would be very grateful if you could still test the switched off and unplugged option, as this is the most important to me (well, my mother actually, who hates leaving items in standby).

xit2050

Result: it works. :eek:
1st test: left disc in, unplugged = memory worked
2nd test: removed disc, unplugged = memory worked

However, I do not guarantee it will work over an extended period of time (e.g. 24 hrs.), I only left it unplugged for about 10 minutes. Although, if the memory is flash-based this should not have an effect on the time elapsed between unplugging and replugging the player.

JacknJill

Standard Member
Very much appreciated xit2050, many thanks for your time and effort. Excellent!

Sounds like may be it could retain memory for a lot longer:).

I wonder how I can find out if the memory is flash-based? Obviously it is going to be no good phoning the retailer I dealt with and maybe even Sony Technical Support (see #1) as they appear not to know that much in-depth detail about the product:censored:. Time to hunt further.

I will post again if I find the answer.

JacknJill

Standard Member
I'm happy to report that I've managed to borrow and test this unit and can confirm that multi-disc resume will work if switched off and unplugged for 24 hrs. with the DVD removed. I therefore must conclude that it should retain the memory for a lot longer period.:smashin:

A great result:thumbsup:

I hope others will find this information useful ..... makes me wonder how many other units will do this without it being mentioned in the manual or known by retailers!:D

JacknJill

Standard Member
Have now purchased this unit and done further tests and found it will retain memory for 4 days:clap: when switched off and unplugged from the mains supply. Should therefore retain memory for a lot longer.

Again, thanks for all your responses.

xit2050

Have now purchased this unit and done further tests and found it will retain memory for 4 days:clap: when switched off and unplugged from the mains supply. Should therefore retain memory for a lot longer.

Obvious conclusion is that it indeed uses a flash-based memory.
Glad it worked out for you.
:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom