Sony DVP-NS700V 5.1 output question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by konghh, Feb 10, 2002.

1. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the NS700V and I tried hooking up the 5.1 output to my Yamaha RX-V596 AV reciever's 5.1 input. (actually, I am just testing it out so only using the 2 front and 2 rear output and not the center and sub-woofer since I only have 4 pc of interconnet). But there is absolutely no sound at all coming out. I checked the manual and did went into the Sony menu to set output to digital and 5.1 output but still no sound. When I use optical interconnect, everything works fine. I really wanted to use the analogue 5.1 output because of SACD. Could anybody help me out here? Thanks

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    set the digital outs to off in the o/s menu when using the 5.1 phonos that part of the menu will then grey out, also set none for centre and sub. for your set up-if you havent already done so.

3. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't do it. I would most appreciate if you could guide me through step-by-step.

I did get into quick setup/language setup/Screen setup/ then to

line output l/r audio
    digital output
    digital & 5.1ch output

none of the above options allows me to disable the digital output. I could do with some help here. Thanks in advance.

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After going thro' the manual very carefully, I enter the CUSTOM setup instead of QUICK. In the CUSTOM setup, I set the DigitalOut to OFF. But when I re-enter the QUICK setup to double check, the DigitalOut is still set to ON.

So what I found is that in the QUICK menu, the DigitalOut is ON whereas if I the CUSTOM menu, the DigitalOut is OFF. A contraditory setting and I have no way of knowing which setting i is my DVD responsing to and still got no sound yet.

Where did I go wrong? Pls advise. Thanks.

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    konghh, use cistom setup. when you have set digital to off dont forget to click onit to enter it thentoggle left to get the yellow band off. if bottom of menu doesnt stay greyed out do it again until it does. otherwise it will default to digital on. hope this is clear.

6. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you stranger but I still needed help.

I did as you said. I went into CUSTOM menu. Then into AudioSetup. I proceed to click on the DigitalOut. It then proceed to offer me two options, either OFF or ON and nothing else. I selected OFF and the DVD automatically set anything below it (DolbyDigital/MPEG/DTS etc) to grey. I exit the menu and re-enter it to confirm the DigitalOUt is set to OFF.

I then enter QUICK menu setup and to double-check the DigitalOut status. I selected Digital&5.1CH output but it then proceed to shows that the DigitalOut is ON.

End result. Still no sound.

What do I do next then?

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    konghh

Have you set the Yamaha's input to external (or equivalent)rather than DVD?

If you haven't already twigged, the digital out setting on the DVD player is irrelevant as the 5.1 out is passed in addition to the digital bitstream.

I confirmed that this is the case by checking the custom setting on my NS900V and it says:

DIGITAL OUT: ON

I switch my receiver to EXT IN (it's a Denon) for SACD playback.

Hope this helps.

Pathfinder

8. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How stupid of me. I should have done that. Anyway, I did it and now I got sound from the 2 front speaker but only one of the rear got any sound. So what's next?

9. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the connections are absolutely correct - i.e. the output rca matches the input rca - maybe you are trying to connect the sub output to the rear speaker...

P>