Sony DVP-NS700 or Pioneer DV-545?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnk, Jul 24, 2002.

1. johnk

johnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm on the point of buying the Sony and I just have one query that I need an answer to: do the scarts on this model provide RGB loopthrough? This is one of my requirements for a new player. Can't find the answer online. Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the manual?

Secondary query now that I'm here - at the moment I'm edging towards the Sony becuase it has SACD, which would be interesting to play with, but in the end, optional (and it's available for a bargain £200 multi-region). The other player on my shortlist is the Pioneer 545. Anyone got any strong opinions on the relative merits? Apart from the RGB loopthrough, decent CD audio is also quite important.

Or indeed, anyone know of any other top-class keenly-priced DVD players that provide scart RGB loopthrough and decent CD audio?

JohnK

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got the Sony DVP-NS700V and it does indeed feature RGB passthrough on the scart input, i've got my NTL digital TV box hooked up with RGB enabled on it. I think it's an exellent player with loads of features! It even plays SVCD's which isn't mentioned in the manual.

3. johnk

johnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Many thanks for the helpful response. SVCD playback is a useful bonus. However, although the Sony is still the favourite, I've just read about the new Philips DVD763SA which looks lovely, does everything, and looks like it will be priced pretty reasonably (not yet widely available, but it's £249 for R2 version at Jungle).

And then there's the nice new SONY AVD-S10 DVD Receiver (only informative link I could find was at AVLAND) - replace three boxes with one (plays SACD too!). £450. Dilemmas, dilemmas.....

JohnK

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    50 watts per channel? That thing is never going to be as good as seperate DVD player + Reciever! Still, if you'r short of space & money and have a small room, well I still wouldn't buy it myself... And I recon that Phillips DVD player isn't going to be as good as the Sony DVPNS-700V, the Sony one retails for £400 and the Phillips is £250, getting the Sony at £150 R2/£200 MR at richer sounds is a real bargain IMHO.