1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-NS52 Vs Pioneer DV-585A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thevolt5, Jul 11, 2005.

1. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello im in the process of purchasing a new DVD player and have two in mind a Sony DVP-NS52 or Pioneer DV-585A not to sure what to go for thow.I am kind of fixed on the sony at the moment but if any one can change my mind or can think of amy think of anything else that support all video playback features.

Both models play DVD-R and support DiVx too which is a great.But I have noticed that the Pioneer dosent state that it plays the DVD+R just DVD-R is this true.

The Sony all so has a new DVi port on fitted but Pioneer dosent which is a shame.

Could some one help me make a decission on what to buy and which is better overall quality.

thank you! :thumbsup:

2. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump :rolleyes:

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I suggest a more expensive Pioneer with DVI or see below

Sony do not actually want to sell DVD players, neither does Phillips or Panasonic.

The Pioneers can play both LA Woman by The Doors (DVD-A) and Machine Head by Deep Purple (SACD).

I told Sony 18 months ago I would need a new DVD player and they were out of the running due to their DVD-A non policy.

So I suggest you support a company who knows what they are doing

There is also supposed to be a play anything Samsung with DVI as well!

Anything to cost any of the sideist a sale!

Denon and Marantz are also sensible

4. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony eh? :thumbsdow

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225927

And Google for Sony C13:00 before you buy. No experience of the particular model in question, nor how wonderful it may appear, but I would hate anyone to buy a Sony DVD without being aware of what will probably happen to it after about a year.

Google should show you all about the legion of Sony DVD owners out there and they are not a happy bunch.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mine lasted 5 years before wearing out - I chose Pioneer for compatability reasons not reliability reasons

6. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the Pioneer DV-585A plays the DVD+R then ,to confirm or any one that owns one.The Pioneer dosent have a DVi port just the HDMi port i think.

The Sony states that it plays all the video playbacks DVD+R and DVD-R and Divx so it must play them all as easy as the pioneer correct?

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Recent Sony's aren't as good as they're past great players such as the DVP-725.. I had a DVP-525D and that gave faultess service for 5 years, I only changed for the SACD and DVD-A on the Pio 575. Both compainies are good IMO depending on the particular model you buy.

8. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVP-725 is still going strong its such a great solid all round player, mind you its going to be redundant soon due to a new plasma tv :)

9. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Thanks for the comments just a few other things not sure about

What is DVD-A ?

What is SACD ?

The most important thing im really looking for is that the player playbacks the DVD+R.

Im aware of the Sony and the errors codes C13:00 I currently own a Sony but its a old module and it dosent support backup discs that well,, such as DVD+R -R or CD-R it plays fine but the video playback works but for some reason half way throw movie it pauses and crash and comes up with the error code.

I really do think thow the new Sony modules have fixed this and states that it plays all video playback such as DVD+R Divx so it must be upgraded know .Any thoughts on this.?

Does any one own the new Pioneer DV-585A on here or some one you can put me intouch.

10. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't comment on the Pioneer DV-585A, but I have recently purchased the Pioneer DV-575A from Richer Sounds and whilst it does not mention that it can play DVD+R it certainly does.

All of my back-up stuff is on DVD+R so this was a must for me and so far I've not had a single problem playing any of these.