1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-NS330 any good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by james4001, Jan 1, 2004.

1. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Sony DVP-NS330, i know it is a budget DVD player but im on a budget. I can get it for about £80. Any thoughts....

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Panasonic SE35 is better but theres nothing wrong with the Sony except the fear that the dvd loader may have a short life like some of Sony's earlier examples. If you want to match all Sony gear then its the ideal choice for a basic dvd player.

3. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I own the NS405...

Think everyone will agree that the whole NS### range offers pretty good picture quality, with solid build and nice aesthetics...

However, everyone would also agree the Toshiba 220e/330e is the best you can buy. They have won so many awards its ridiculous...

The 220e is £70, the 330e £90 from empiredirect.co.uk...

If you are interested in multi-region, an extra £10 to the prices above will get you that...

Either one will give you excellent performance/features for the price, and they look the part too, with excellent build.

If you are set on a Sony though, the NS330 at £80 is great and the model up (NS430) is even better, albeit at £107...

4. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys. It was a sony i wanted so it would go with my TV and a STR-DB790 reciever that im also goin to buy

5. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just got the STR-DB790 myself, to go along with my Sony 28FX66, and Sony NS405 :)

790 is excellent, particularily for dts movies, looks really nice too :)

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I don't think everyone would agree that the Toshiba is the best you can buy as many people like myself have bought them, had problems with them and returned them. There is also a strong pro pioneer 360/464 player camp. I believe the current What Video bestbuy is the Yamaha 540 model. As said above I like the Panasonic SE35 as it has perhaps picture quality second only to the Toshiba and in some ways superior as it lacks the chroma bug. It seems a more stable, dependable player than the Toshiba. I think the Toshiba is spoilt by a fairly weak dvd loader and bugs in the firmware regarding rce and vcd/svcd audio.

7. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Fair point, disregarded the problems with the Toshiba. The Yamaha seems a good solid player, but at £120+ slightly over budget.

So if its reliability, good performance you require go for the Pioneer or Sony, if the budget is priority the 220e at £70 is a bargin... :)

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    If its reliability I would say the Panasonic is near the top and the logical next choice for picture quality after the Toshiba. The Sony model is probably made by Samsung. Not that I'm stating that as a negative its just Sony don't make their own bottom end stuff now and like their video recorders they farm it out to other manufacturers. Even if the player isn't made by Samsung it won't be made by Sony. Could be LG though. Pioneer have two factories in china and not all Pioneer dvd players and home cinema systems come out of these factories some are made externally. I have to say at the bottom end of pricing quality is pretty even as they are all coming out of chinese factories which are pretty similar. While Samsung is korean they operate some of the best most upto date factories in china. So if a chinese product is made by Samsung that tends to be a higher quality item than from some of the smaller chinese factories. The smaller chinese factories tend to rely on human labour much more and don't invest in superior robot assembly machines as much.

The two most critical things in dvd players are the dvd loader and psu board. These cause most faults. I would say generally the Toshiba models are more likely to have problems with the loaders and the pioneer models are more likely to have psu problems. The Pioneer DV-350 had a fairly high failure rate with regards psus boards and thats very similar to the DV-360.

I personally don't think theres a lot in it relaiblity wise though. The Which reliability survey of 2002 had the JVC and Wharfedale models as the most reliable. Wharfedale coming out top surprised me and I can't help wondering if we are all carrying a bit of a torch for jap brands because of their past reputations but I wonder nowadays in the cutthroat world of dvd pricing and with practically all of them made in china if they are a lot closer than we think to actual chinese brands.

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    At £80 they are all about as relyable as each other, still, i'm sure Comet will sell you insurance if you need it ;)

10. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think thats the angle I was coming from when recommending the Toshiba, for its price its as reliable as many others...

11. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help i think i will stick to buying the DVP-NS330. Does anyone know if CD playback is any good on it and do you need your TV on to see what track is playing or does it display it.

12. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My NS405 is 'decent' for CD playback, but personally I will be buying a dedicated CD player soon...

And the display functions exactly how a CD seperate would, displaying track number, time etc...

Have fun with it :)

13. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i was worrying that i was going to have to buy a separate CD player that would take up more room and more money. But since im not picky about things im sure the sound quality is good enough for me
    James

14. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No worries, its certainly not un-listenable by any means, I tend to find my 405 lacks good bass reproduction, and the treble on some heavy rock tracks can appear muddy...

However, with a decent set of speakers, it performs well enough for the price :)

15. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Look out for the awia ax-10 which is a rebadged ns330

16. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: