1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP-CX850

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DazB, Mar 12, 2002.

1. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a recent owner of a Sony DVP-CX850 DVD Player, and I've read a number of professional and owner reviews over the past week or so. It appears that the reviews are split down the middle as to whether this DVD Player is any good or not. I love the idea of the 200 DVD and CD capacity. I know it's too late now as I've just got one, but I would like to know what any other owners of the player have to say about it. Is there something I need to look out for ?

One thing's for sure, it's going to cost me a fortune to fill it! :D

Daz

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for about 2 years and I am still happy with it. The picture is better than mold old pioneer, the worst bit is the on screen selection stuff, far too slow.

I'm still glad I bought one.

Dave

3. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good to hear.

Thanks Dave

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The '850 and '860 were allegedly based around the old Sony 725 which was highly regarded and I can confirm that having used the 850 and lived with the 860 for the last 12-18 months the quality is excellent, both sound and picture. Shame about the UI though :(

Steve

5. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've had a 860 for 6 months now. Great player, very good picture quality and the sound piped through my Denon 10se amp is great.

There are a couple of problems though. (there always are;) )

1. There are alot of 860 with disk loading/unloading faults! If you can get one that works its an excellent player.

2. The disk navigation system is awful! Avoid it at all costs. I just knocked up a list of my DVD and what slot they are in. Now I only have to type the disk number ininsted of messing around with the navigation system.

3. Buying 300 disks to fill it costs a lot!:( But I'm getting there:)

On the good side, you never have to change disks again and it stop you scratching or getting marks on your DVD's.

Enjoy it!

Glenn.

6. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, Steve and Glenn for the replies. I got my player last week but it hadn’t been chipped so I have a replacement turning up today (hopefully!!). I think the first thing is to give it a good disk-loading workout just to make sure.

Ive had a quick go on the disk navigation system with the one I got last week and I think you right, but I like the idea. I just like gadgets! I have found on the web a DVD Profiler (see like bellow(my dvd’s)), with this you can number your DVDs and (I think) do a print out of the DVDs number order and DVD information. I’ll know more when a have a play about with it to see what it can do. Its free so you might find it useful. The web site is www.dvdprofiler.com

Well it looks like if I get a unit without a problem then a think it will be a long and happy relationship.

Daz

7. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DazB,

I would test your player with one DVD first. When I got my first 860 I loaded all my DVD into it before playing one. Becasue I didn't test it first when the loading fault happened on the second disk I played, I had to unload all my DVD's:mad:

Better to be safe than ****ed off!

Glenn.

8. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Glenn,

I haven’t got that many dvd's yet, but i will test it with just the one.

Fingers crossed its ok. I dont want to send it back again !!

Daz

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got or are considering a Pronto, there's an excellent utility here which was developed by Leo Davidson for Sony's CD & DVD Jukeboxes. There are a number of ccf's (Pronto configuration files) at the Remote Central site to browse. The utility takes the Sony UI completely out of the equation and makes it a doddle and a pleasure using the '860.

Have fun.

Steve

PS I've not had one glitch with mine..... where's that piece of wood ;)

10. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,
    now that looks VERY useful! I've also got a Sony 400CD jukebox as well as my 860. Maybe it's time to get a Pronto.

Thanks,
    Glenn.

11. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent stuff Steve :D :D :D :D

Thanks

I NEED a Pronto now !!! Definitely next on my list. Do you know the best place to get one? :D

Daz

12. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets Automate are an excellent source, if you place your order pre 14:00 you'll get it tomorrow!! If you want rock bottom price I think that Richer sounds have got the 2Mb one for £149? I dont think you'll need the 2Mb mine controls about 10 components and has over 100 DVD's on macro's and I still use less than 50% and I've got the 1Mb.

You pays your money.....

Let me know if you need any help with SuperNudelist if you get your Pronto.

Steve

13. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got my second unit today but Im still not a happy bunny :( :( :( I now have two CX850D's sitting in my living room and not one of them has been chipped.

Im looking forward to seeing what Richer Sound will do now!!!

One day it will be right! :mad: :(

14. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive spoken to Richer Sound and they gave me a hack, but they didnt know if it will work on the DVP-CX850D. Has anyone used a hack on ether the 850, 860 or 870??

Daz :rolleyes:

15. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There definately isn't a hack for the 860, I've also got a 725 and an F11 and no hacks for them. I had to get all mine modded to get multi-region. I've got RCE playback as well with the 860. I think it's time to start shouting!!

Steve

16. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was afraid that might be the case. Im going to try it tonight and then its time to start shouting

Thanks Steve

17. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I'm wrong and you get the hack working but I'm fairly sure Sony had never been "hackable" :(

Good luck
    Steve

18. DazB

DazB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, the Hack didnt work :(

I think i need to make some calls :mad: :mad: :mad:

Daz