Sony DVP-930: Buy it region free or hack it myself?

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
I am in the market for a DVP-NS930 and was intending to buy a region free version for around £250.

However, in looking for 'Region Free' codes for my neigbours DAV-S300, I stumbled across all I need to hack the NS range of players.

This means that in theory, I could buy a region 2 player (For around £220) and then hack it myself.

Trouble is, I have no real way to know whether the 'hack' that I have actually works, and whether it will do things like RCE.

Saying that, I am almost sure that the 'hack' I have, is what the DVD suppliers will use to make it 'region free' anyway, so there is probably no difference.

The 'hack' in questions, is a set of 'Service Codes' which can be sent to the player using a Pronto or similar and there is no reason to doubt that it won't work.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

No problem. I got mine from them. Ordered in the morning and it arrived next day although I would give them a ring to verify that they have them in stock.

Did you get a response reagrding your first question for the region-free hack? I'm thinking of buying a 930 as well and as you don;t want to spend mony for something I can do myself!

As I found it in the end for £220, it kind of negated my original question

Took the plunge last week and I have got it now.. Progressive Scan is OK, but whether the improvement over my Pioneer 545 justifies the £220 I have payed I can't say.

But for £220 it seems like a good buy!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom