1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVP 735 vs Toshiba SD900E?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tk2001, Jul 4, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've been a happy owner of a Sony 735 for over a year and a half and I'm thinking about upgrading to a Toshiba SD900E.

Before I choose to upgrade, I would like to know whether the Toshiba SD900E will offer SUBSTAINTIAL improvements over my Sony 735 in terms of picture quality and audio in DVD movies?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A friend has just gone this route. He has reported significant gains, much beyond what he was expecting for the money. He seems very happy with the Toshiba 900. The Sony has been dumped big time.

On a more personal note I have always found the picture quality of the top Toshs to be very high quality and much better than most Sony machines to date (7700 is still the best IMHO and still competitive).

It is worth doing if you get a good price.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't anticipate substantial improvements in picture quality. Even the largest differences in performance among DVD players is quite small, and the two players in question are both excellent performers.

In terms of sound quality, if you're using a receiver or processor to manage Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks, I wouldn't expect any audible difference between the Toshiba and Sony. Of course, the Toshiba includes DVD-Audio, so is capable of much higher peak audio quality than the Sony, but this will only be heard through a standard analogue RCA connection.

If you don't have a widescreen TV, the Toshiba's anamorphic downconversion produces a sharper picture than the Sony, but at the expense of some aliasing. From past experience, Toshibas often have an edge in terms of colour reproduction.

Adam

4. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "If you think the pictures on the Sony are stunning on the Tosh it'll make your jaw hit the floor" Don't remember the issue but funnily enough I read it this morning.

Sound like a marked improvement to me.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    This months What Hifi praises the Tosh 220 on its musical ability in the super test and then IN THE SAME ISSUE in the £500 system article says musically its lacklustre.

WhatHifi has to be the worst review magazine around. £3.50 for repeated advice and adverts and once in a while an interesting article. I still buy it every month though!!!

6. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, I would be using my Denon 3802 amp to decode DD & DTS soundtracks but surely the sound quality coming from the DVD movie soundtracks is hugely dependent on the dvd-player? - in the same way a high-end cd-player would perform much better than a budget cd-player?

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Is that a can of worms I hear being opened..:D :D:D

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I think it might be!! Jitter anyone??:p ;) :D

9. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Can of worms?

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I went from the sony 735 to the Tosh 900e and all I can say is DO IT !!!

You will not be dissapointed, had my 735 for 2 years and still have it here in the corner of the dining room somewhere waiting for the next time the mother in law comes up to take it away.

The tosh is the best DVD / DVD A player you can get for £699, looks good, sounds great and weighs over 13 Kg. Its virtually silent in operation too.

11. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. As long as the transport is doing its job properly, DTS and Dolby Digital should sound virtually identical from any transport. Due to its nature, PCM on CD is more susceptible to timing errors known as 'jitter', but DTS and Dolby Digital rely on a different transmission system so are less susceptible (although to be honest, whether jitter actually degrades sound quality is still uncertain. I personally think not, unless we're talking extreme misstiming).

When comparing the Toshiba and Sony, their jitter values are very similar (within about 150ps) so not really an issue. I wouldn't anticipate any audible difference between the two when listening to DTS or Dolby Digital using your Denon as a processor.

Listening to CD, DTS, Dolby Digital or DVD-Audio through the players' RCA outputs brings in many additional factors (such as internal DACs and filters), which is likely to result in audible differences.

The only way to really tell whether the Toshiba performs better than the Sony in your system is to try it. In matters home theatre it's never a good idea to rely solely on the opinions of others.

Adam

12. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I currently have my Sony 735 hooked to my TV via a component video cable and when I play DVD movies like Gladiator, Training Day or Behind Enemy Lines, the picture quality on these movies are so good that sometimes I can't imagine them being any better! - surely these same movies were played on the Tosh 900e, the picture improvement would only be slight?

JSW, can you please list me the improvements the Toch 900e has over the Sony 735 please?

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm ready;)

Adam, if you haven't seen the posts already there are some corkers on jitter etc.:)

Ginger beer anyone?

JSW is not down playing the differences. They are there no matter how good you think your player is there is always something better. My friend was very disappointed when he (and his wife) CLEARLY saw how much better my cheaper Tosh was than his 7 series Sony. He is now a very happy 900 owner.

14. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some jitter arguments you say? I suppose it's a good candidate for neverending debate. I may have to run a search.

Adam

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it this is the sony 900 like mine:devil:

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    No it is a proper DVD player from Toshiba, not that Sony toy you have:devil:

17. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nic, ordered toshiba 900e from leconcepts sunday-arrived 08.15 this morning:p nah-nah-nah-nah-nah:D

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Let the boy wear long troucers now;)

Good call:)

19. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your previous posts and advice helped a lot,was corect and appreciated:)

20. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Do you have any opinions on the performance of the Tosh SD900 as a CD player (using analogue stereo and/or digital outputs?

Cheers.

21. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'ts a bit soon yet but I can already tell i'ts better than the sony-more air-detail and tighter bass, will post when i'ts run in but others can answer you better.

22. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony 735 picture wise is awesome. Anyone who says Toshiba blows it away is telling porkies. As simple as that. It also looks very sexy with it's slim brushed metal look. The Toshiba looks like a brick alongside it. This just seems like a Sony V Toshiba argument to me! (yes, i am being sarcastic)

23. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fyi I am a lifelong sony fan and still have the thesony 900 (in my sons bedroom) the remarks I made on sound still stand but I didn't notice any difference in picture quality between the two on a 36" screen via component, but I don't have progressive scan. the sony also has a quieter transport and loads and accesses much faster than the tosh.if you read my posts in the other threads on this, you will see it was about an upgrade while the tosh was a bargain half price not a contest between sony and tosh, you're also a a bit late with your comments.:)