Sony DVP 725 worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by astonbilla, Jan 8, 2004.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Is it worth my time and money getting a new pioneer 565 or the new sony 930 to replace my ageing 725?

Had it for years with no probs, but often wonder would i see a marked improvement in either picture performance or sound?

Any help or further player advice would be fantastic folks

Cheers

Bill

2. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Bil,

I had a 725, was very happy with it but then caught the upgrade bug and went to the 930. I really can't see much of a difference in visual/audio. The main difference is the build quality, with the 725 winning hands down.

Unless you need something like SACD or progressive scan I recommend you stick with the 725, it's a great player.

Cheers,

Darren

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    my dad complains that his 725 won't play RCE region 1 DVDs.

4. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it will but not in "auto region" mode. You need to force it into region 1 mode and it will work fine.

A bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    db1234 - thanks for the info!!

I am buying a new DVD player for another room and i was tempted to dump the 725 in there and put a pioneer 565 in the living room.

Guess i should stick with it for a while longer. Maybe some day i'll get a plasma and get a high end DVD player.

yeah right - wife would choke me

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on what type of multi region upgrade your player has.

Some are better than others. My 725 plays RCE disks without any problems, and also bypasses FBI screens etc, but some multi region upgrades are very basic and are confused by RCE. Most newer upgrades should play "problem disks" without difficulty.

I would also stick with the 725, unless you need progressive scan or SACD.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,466
    the picture of my sony 725 is better than that of my sony 905.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I don't think it would be worth upgrading until the player dies or become unreliable.

I went from a 525D to a NS900 and the difference was noticeable. I dont think it would have the same effect going from a 725.

The mod chip was also better in my 525 than my NS900 (it had macrovision disabled and FBI skip).

9. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi
    keep the Sony725!

I have a 4yr old Sony 725 and was recently thinking of an upgrade (?) to a Denon 2900 to match my Denon 3801 amp.

I took the 725 along to Sevenoaks to compare, with a view to being impressed with the Denon and parting with my cash- but surprise, surprise- the Sony was just as good on PQ.

Denon was using prog scan into a 50" plasma, Sony using interlaced component- Sevenoaks manager agreed no real difference and no point in changing.

Denon may have been a bit better on sound quality, but not worth spending £700 or so for a marginal difference.

Long live the Sony 725!

rkb

10. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Can agree with RKB. I have a Sony 735 (OK, not the same as yours, but probably similar PQ performance) and borrowed a Denon 2900 recently for a weekend. Could barely make out a difference in PQ on my 7ft projector screen! Maybe the prog scan was a bit more stable, but I'd suggest you stick with the Sony until it dies!
    I've also seen a couple of cheapo players recently, and they too look pretty good. Now either I'm getting blind, or the law of diminishing returns starts at around £100 for DVD players nowadays.
    I'm planning to wait until the hdmi/dvi kit is all standard - if my player goes belly up in the meantime, I'll be off to Asda with £50!

11. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i'm glad this thread has been started i was wondering to have a look at upgrading mine. Don't think i'll bother now.
    did't know how many 725 owners there are out there!

mine hasn't been region hacked is it worth doing? i don't as yet own any other Region disks than 2 and if i did i would probarbly burn them to DVD -R and take the region coding off.

How do your Head motors sound on your players mines quite loud.

Jon

12. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Iver got a 735 and have also been thinking of "up grading" but reading these posts I think ill hang on to it a while longer :)
    Ive not had mine chiped but bought a cheap philips DVD for playing CDR's MP3's and region 1 DVD's.
    The 735 has been with me a while now and didnt realy want to see it go :)

Andy

13. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    We have a 725 in our lounge which is still going strong even after all this time :)

I've always been impressed with the picture quality from it - we've even looked into replacing it once or twice but to be honest, nothing has even come close thus far unless we're prepared to spend silly money. If it aint broke, why fix it?! ;)

K.

[Edited because I cin't spall]

14. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    My old 725 is providing a great service in AV and is also good at music. I will only consider changing when I make up my mind on which RPTV to get :confused: when I will "have" to buy a progessive DVD ;)

15. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    5 years on and mine is still going strong. Just looked at the receipt I paid 550 for this bugger. But now I want a progressive scan DVD player.
    Azzo.

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I also have a 725, it doesn't get a lot of use these days, but still very good. :)

17. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not a 725 but the slightly older 715. I have been looking into replacing it mainly because it doesn't output DTS and I plan to get a projector sometime later this year. but everything I've looked at so far (which isn't a lot admittedly) is not as good on picture quality.

I just bought a second hand 735 hoping it would beat my trusty 715 - but no. I'll be keeping hold of the 715 for the time being until I can find a worthy replacement.

I ought to be pleased that the £590 that I spent in 1998 was well spent!

Andrew

18. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still got my 725 but upgraded to the 905. Strange that the new DVD player doesn't have a headphone socket - which would have been useful when the wife wants to watch TV but I want to listen to a CD / SACD.
    The only problem I had with the 725 was lip sync - I'd suddenly notice in the middle of a film that the voice was coming about half a second before the actor on screen opened his mouth. This became too much to bear when it affected Fellowship of the Ring (2nd disc of extended edition).
    I've noticed this problem on Perfect Storm, Notting Hill, Blade (US version), Tomb Raider and a few more. If you haven't noticed this problem then stick with the 725. If anything, the new players are so good in the picture quality stakes that they show some flaws that the 725 doesn't!

19. steveTHX

steveTHX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my friend has an 725, how can he upgrade it so it can play region1 dvd's? does it have to be chiped or can you do it with the remote? its a pretty good player.

20. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it has a remote hack. Techtronics.com may be able to chip it for about £60.

21. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No remote hack for Sony 725- needs a chip. Mine done by techtronics when it was new.

Lip sync? Had a problem twice in 4 years- months apart. Each time I stopped the disc and replayed the scene where the sync error had occured- could not make it happen again (thankfully).

Nothing but great replay for past two years or so...

rkb

22. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also got a 4yr old sony 725....was just searching on here to see what upgrade path people had taken. like many of the previous posters I too don't have any issue with my old 725 in fact I like it but I was just wondering what one of the latest / greatest players might bring to my home cinema viewing. for now at least I'll let the 725 keep its well earned place on my AV stand

23. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i reckon you should leave upgrading this player untill you pay £800+ for a player or need progressive scan/DVD-A/SACDetc..
    This is a excellent machine and although outdated feature wise for straight DVD playback I wouldn't touch anything under £800 to replace mine!!(and currently the chances of "clearance" for £800+ are low)

24. GoggleBoy

GoggleBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 725! and love it to bits.
    But I have just been asking myself the same question "should I upgrade". I have just placed an order for my first PJ (Panny AE500) and was wondering if I will see a huge difference from a prog scan DVD player like the Sony 930 over my old 725?

Btw lip sync problem seems to be a "feature", I have only had it a handful of times in the 4 years I have owned this player. It seems to happen when the player is changing layers in the DVD. If you pause the film and then play it sorts it.

Cheers,
    Goggs.

25. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is something that interests me, the 725 in theory is the "better" player but the question is will the technology have moved on enough for a "cheap" player to better it?
    Is progressive scan that much better?
    I'm trying to find out if a £1200 player with interlaced component would be better than a £600 player with progressive scan (No replies there) what do you all reckon?

26. saeav

saeav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just recently replaced my 725 with a Denon 2200. There were a couple of reasons for this. The first was that I'd noticed what looked like an interference pattern moving horizontally across the screen (I have a Panasonic AE100 and only noticed this through the 725 component outputs). I was also curious to know what improvements progressive scan would bring.

The result was definitely an improved picture from the Denon and it also cured the interference problem so I'm happy.

Having said that, I don't think I would recommend an upgrade unless you were using a projector - and the 725 is also an excellent CD player.

27. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I only changed mine because of the annoying lip-sync issues:(

28. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And another happy 725 owner. Orignaly had a 715 but it was only R2. A friend bought me a copy of Matrix in the States so I had to replace it. Bought a multi region 725 from Tectronics,
    How much were they in those days!!!

I've had a few lip sync issues but it seems dependant on the disk.
    Very well built with a beautfull remote. The slow motion control with jog / shuttle is still better than newer decks.

It's now in the bedroom, replaced by a Sony 9000ES (I needed PS for the plasam) I did think of getting 930, mainly for SACD and disks play back memory. But I'm still glad I bought 725 way back when.