1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD201

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chopster, Aug 20, 2004.

1. chopster

chopster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new here (and to the camcorder market). I'm looking to buy a Sony DVD201e to film christmases, holidays, families etc and then be able to easily pass to family members (hence the dvd option)

I just read the review on this site about this camcorder, and although it seems very good in most ways, I was concerned when it mentioned pixellation with fast moving objects. Can anybody give me their thoughts on it or perhaps their own experiences. What sort of speed are we talking about? I have a 2.5 year old daughter who likes to run around the house like a mad thing, and I don't want her to look like a Lego child on screen because of bad pixellation.

Hope you can help

Thanks

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy a dvd cam!

They don't like moving subects, they don't like moving (thats why sony made them the size of a small family hatchback), did I mention portability?.

The picture quality is below miniDV, the discs are much more expensive need I go on...

DONT BUY A DVD CAM, if you still swither then you need your head felt.

You'll get much better value with a miniDV cam, much wider choice of features etc.

It's easy to copy dv footage onto VHS, or plug your cam into somebody elses telly with the av leads supplied.

If you have a PC you'd be surprised how easy it is to copy miniDV onto a format such as VCD, SVCD or DVD.

Don't buy a dvd cam. I know where you live, so just don't right!. :nono:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sorry Roy, but you didn't make it quite clear as to weather you thought getting a DVD cam was a good idea or not :devil:

Seriously though I totally agree. DVD cams are a new idea and need a lot of modifications to their design before they become viable IMO.
    The disks are difficault to get hold of and as stated cost a fortune and also they can only be used once, unless you get the even more expensive DVD-RAM. At best quality you will only get about 20 minutes recording to a single disk, and you will need to record at best quality for anything moving faster than snail!
    DV cams are the only real option.

Mark.