1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD writer (DWu18a)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Donnacha, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    Does anyone have this DVD-RW? I have, and am having problems with it! It works fine for retail/rental dvd's, but if I burn a DVD-R in it, it burns fine, but struggles when I play it back in this drive only! My stand-alone Pioneer DVD player, plays the burnt discs fine, as does my Windows 98 PC in the study. However on my brand spanking new HCPC, with this new drive that they were written on, they stutter!!

Anyone else had this problem. To me its sounds like the drive rather than the media, as the media plays fine elsewhere!

Cheers

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    A couple of things to check
    1) make sure you have DMA mode set
    2) I had a few problems with another Sony drive and cured it by using an 80 wire IDE cable instead of the old 40 wire IDE cable.

3. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    Cheers JohnG - I'll check it out. If I have it set up wrong, would it impact on blank DVDR media as opposed to Retail studio DVDs?

To get round the problem at the moment I rip my DVDR's to the HD and watch from there. It lets me do that, just not play them back from the disc.

Thanks again

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to say I have the same drive and have not had any problems with it.

Have used it for playing back standard DVDs and have written many DVD+r and CD-Rs without any errors.

Cheers, Lee

5. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    Thanks Lee,

my DVDRs seem to have written fine also, just playback on this drive seems dodgy. they work fine on everything else!

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ahh...have just re-read your post - I thought you were having problems playing back all DVDs not just those you have written :rolleyes:

I have never tried to copy a DVD film or make my own but have made many data backups onto DVD+r which work just fine.

That's a strange problem as you'd expect it to playback fine in the drive it was written with as opposed to a standalone player.

Perhaps it is the drive which is at fault in that case, perhaps something to do with the strength of the laser or something, but I guess you might have a hard time proving it to the retailer.

Cheers, Lee

7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What media are you using? Cheap media can give very hit and miss results. Even different batches of cheap media from the same supplier may give different results. I know it sounds odd but you will find media that plays okay on a standalone DVD player but not on the drive used to burn it in the first place! Also DVD Rom drives as a rule are better at reading disks than DVD writers. You can test how well your writer can read a burnt disk using Nero CD-DVD speed.

8. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,675
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm using Datawrite Red discs, which I'm lead to believe are reasonably decent.

However, last night after installing DVD Region Killer I tried a few of my DVDRs and they worked fine!!! Bloody computers!!

9. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Glad to hear you've sorted your problem. If you haven't already I would still recommend testing the disk with Nero CD-DVD speed just to get some idea of how reliable the disk/burn is. I have used Datawrite Red (V3), I have to burn them at x2 to get perfect results on CD-DVD speed although I've read that many people can burn them at x4 without problems.