Sony DVD / VCR combi - Sound Problems

G

gusfoe

I have a Sony SLV-D950G video recorder / DVD Player combi. It is now 2 years old but during the last year it has developed a fault on the playback of a recorded tape.

The sound is unpredictable and often fades away and can be lost completely. It can suddenly come back to the correct sound level before dropping off again. At the same time as the loss of sound the picture flashes and the STEREO indicator in the display window flashes. The tapes that I use are Sony branded and are relatively new.

According to the handbook one remedy is to clean the video heads. I have done this on a regular basis with the use of a Sony Video Head Cleaner; however this does not resolve the problem. Another remedy suggested is to adjust the tracking. I have attempted to manually adjust the tracking during playback but this has no effect on the problem.

I have returned the machine twice to the retailer, John Lewis and the first occasion it was returned advising that they had cleaned the heads and suggested new tapes be used, and the second time they advised that they had replaced the pickup assembly and deck assembly, however the problem still persists and it is out of warranty in about 4 weeks.

Can anyone advise what the problem may be?

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just one specific tape, or does this happen on all tapes ?

It may be that the problem was a recording problem, which has been fixed by the repairs done. But a previously recorded tape still suffers.

Otherwise keep on at them. Tell them politely that, as you have reported the problem within the warranty period, you expect it will be repaired - however long it takes and however many times you have to return it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom