Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD995 - can't use/record with Sky+

Blueberry1

Standard Member
Reaction score
We bought a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD995 2 years ago but have only ever been able to use it as a player as we haven't been able to work out how to set it up with our Sky+ box.

We would ideally like to be able to record programs that we have saved onto our Sky+ box onto DVD.

I have looked at this old thread...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...er-rdr-hxd995-problems-setting-up-sky-tv.html

but following the suggestions on that thread didn't help. When we try to record a program from our Sky+ planner, the recording just plays back as black/static.

If it helps our TV is a Samsung UE40B7020W.

We also have another sky box (not plus - just a really old one) running anytime with another TV in a different room. i'm not sure if that would have any effect on our setup though.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks Blueberry1

We bought a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD995 2 years ago but have only ever been able to use it as a player as we haven't been able to work out how to set it up with our Sky+ box.

We would ideally like to be able to record programs that we have saved onto our Sky+ box onto DVD.

I have looked at this old thread...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...er-rdr-hxd995-problems-setting-up-sky-tv.html

but following the suggestions on that thread didn't help. When we try to record a program from our Sky+ planner, the recording just plays back as black/static.

If it helps our TV is a Samsung UE40B7020W.

We also have another sky box (not plus - just a really old one) running anytime with another TV in a different room. i'm not sure if that would have any effect on our setup though.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks Blueberry1
Welcome to the forum.

Firstly - there is no point in trying to record directly to the DVDR from a sky+ by using the planner.
The reason for this, is that the sky+ is a recorder itself, and when programmed to make recordings - it does not output anything externally which can be recorded elsewhere.

Therefore if you wish to archive to a DVDR recorder you must first record them to the Sky+ box and transfer them later.

This is probably all you need to know.

But I will add that, obviously when archiving , it is important to achieve the best quality of transfer possible.... and that means using RGB.

RGB is only output from the TV scart of a skybox [... if it has two scarts ]
Therefore you should connect a fully wired scart from the sky+ TV scart outlet to the secondary scart of the Sony DVDR.[ i.e. Line 1 = Top Scart ]

Imagine this as a chane with links in the chain.
Play a program from your sky hard drive through the scart to the tv.
ok so you know a picture is coming out of the scart.
unplug from the tv and put it into a scart hole of your dvd recorder
play something on your sony DVD make sure you can see it on your tv. you could pug the sony in to the now empty scart hole in your tv. Or use whatever input you usually use which may be conected eg hdmi.
So remember You know the sky is still playing and is going into the dvd recorder.
You know the dvd recorder can be seen on the tv. leave the tv on that input.
Stop the dvd playing.
Now cycle through the sony dvd inputs. its not tuner.
Its line input 1 or 2 or 3 I dont know how many you have.
may be called source, line input, av input or something else.
When you see what the sky box was playing on the tv ON THE SAME BUTTON YOU WERE WATCHING THE DVD ON YOU ARE THERE.
nOW PRESS RECORD!

the programme a sky plus box is recording is not always displayed on the tv ( or on the scart ) as you may be watching one channel and recording another channels , so its never going to work properly to the sony recorder

as gavtech says , sky plus is a pvr which means it records to its own internal HDD

just connect the scart to line 1of the sony recorder and use the INPUT button - top right of the remote - to cycle to line 1 as the input , select the stored programme on the sky plus and press play , and press record on the sony and whatever is playing on the sky plus will be recorded to the sony HDD , then edit the recording on the sony to remove adverts etc as you wish , and then fastdub to dvdr -r disks , and finalise it

it really is that simple

Thanks so much guys for your help.

It turns out we had everything configured wrong.

We had to hook up the DVD Recorder scart to Sky+ box in Line 1 (it had been in Line 3 which allowed us to watch DVDs on the TV but not record our saved programmes from the Sky+ hard drive onto the Sony HD/DVD). Also we had to hook the Sony DVD recorder to the TV using an HDMI cable - now they seem to be communicating well.

Now we can record programmes we had saved on the Sky+ box to DVD without trouble.

We're very grateful for your help. I can't believe we've had this machine for 2 years and it's taken us this long to sort it out. I should have asked on here months ago. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom