1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD Recorder HX 5205 (is there one)?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LHermitage, Jun 26, 2005.

1. LHermitage

LHermitage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :uk: :confused: An 88 year old friend of mine who is very capable is looking to use either Sky+ (my recommendations for him as he already uses Sky) vs what a dealer has recommended. He has written down the model the dealer recommended as an alternative to Sky+ as being a SONY RDRHX 5205. I am unable to identify this model anywhere?

He and his wife believe this machine will work as a SKY+ alternative. I have already indicated that I do not think this do what he wants.
    Can any one advise me on any DVD recorder that is a "SKY+ alternative" and is there such a model as given above?

Thanks
    PS this is my first post on the av forum and I am impressed by it's content and responses...

2. LHermitage

LHermitage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow As I have had no independant replies I have continued my investigations...
    I have concluded that there is not a model HX 5205

It must be Sony RDR HX 510S via some bad writing...

Anyway this is what I think was meant and it does not answer the expectation of the 'customer' to be a Sky+ competitor as it does not even have freeview while other dvd recorder by sony does.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    The closest Sky+ replacement Sony do (in that it uses an EPG for easy programming) is the GXD500. This model does not have a HDD though and so you need to use discs - and if you want to timeslip you need to use DVD-RW (VR mode)! Sony will be releasing three Freeview HDD/DVDR combis later this year (710, 910 and 1010).

4. LHermitage

LHermitage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for suggesting this, but my friend just wants an easy life without the need to suffle discs so it's a HDD model that he needs. Thanks anyway.

I had not realised until now though that the Electronic Program Guide is a must on their spec list. I had just assummed it would be there,Teletext or whatever, but obviously now it has to be a freeviewer or Sky box