Sony DVD problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Geezer, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi not sure if this is the right forum so if not, mods please move.

Anyway i have my Sony DVP-s7700 conected to my Sony KV-32FD1E tv via s video, when playing Region 1 discs there is a blue line at the top of the screen, except when i switch to smart mode. Dont know if its the same with Region 2 discs will have to check later.

Anyone know why? Also if anyone is familiar with this model of tv. The s video is at the moment connected at the front, is there anyway to connect it at the back. There is an Svideo socket but i think its only an out.

Thanks for any help

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to send s-video through the scart (s-video doesn't need an actual s-video socket). It sounds like a minor geometry adjustment is needed for wide mode.

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reply Squirrel as for the s-video im using a normal s-video lead, so would have to buy a s-video to scart lead. Any idea how to do the "minor geometry adjustment" ?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't your Sony player have a Scart at the back of it? If so, a scart-to-scart would be best.

Geometry via the service menu:

www.kv32tweak.freeuk.org

Usual warnings apply: Note down all original settings before changing anything and don't change anything you're not sure about as you might permanently destroy your TV (seriously). If in doubt, get an engineer out :)

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes it has a scart rgb connection but i am using a normal s-video as i have to many things going into the tv via scart (Sky gamecube xbox PS2) and was advised that using s-video would be best for picture quality. So would scart be best? with a decent cable of course. Oh and thought using s-video would be best originally as i was going to use it for switching via the amp

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB will give you the best quality and might also cure your blue line problem. Try it out before thinking about the service menu.

Note that you should also be able to set S-Video to output via the scart in the DVD players setup menus.

7. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Will check that out but at the moment have only got cheap scart leads, bought S-video leads due to advice from richer sounds. (sucker) But if the TV doesnt have RGB inputs (forgive my lack of knowledge, i am learning :D ) will it make much difference

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. It will make all the difference in the world as you won't be able to use RGB if your TV doesn't have at least one RGB scart input :D

To be fair to Richer Sounds, S-Video can look better on some TVs because they don't do a very good job with RGB. However, Sony's traditionally handle RGB very well and I'd be very surprised if your RGB image wasn't noticeably better than your S-Video image.

9. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Will go check now

10. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Right the tv is a few years old, trying to explain what im thinking here, None of the scart inputs (say) anything about RGB and it doesnt have the three inputs for RGB that the newer models have.

or am i barking up the wrong tree here?

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There aren't 3 inputs for RGB - that's component input you're thinking of, something else entirely.

The scart might not be labelled as RGB and it might still take it. Usually, if there's at least one RGB scart it will be the first one (EXT1 or AV1 or whatever it's called). Why not try hooking it up to that with your bad quality scart cables ;) and setting your player to output RGB. If you get an image - bingo! :)

12. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Oh ok was getting confused. will have to try that then. Thought i was starting to understand all the ins and outs of the different connections but i think im back to square one now :mad: So if i set the dvd player to ouput rgb and hook up a scart lead to AV1 and i dont get a picture. the tv cant do it right? and if it can that will be my best option right?

Oh BTW squirrel should i buy Donnie darko?

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes (chances are you'll get some sort of picture if it can't do it, just not a very nice one). If it works, see if the blue line is still there, see if image looks better, etc.

What do you think? YES! :D

14. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ok So if i do this im likely to get a picture, if it doesnt work properly, will it be clearly visable that it isnt working. i mean will the picture be REALLY bad.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll know, trust me ;)

16. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Geezer

As Squirrel God suggested it's a geometry problem with your set, had the same thing with my FD1.
    There are three single scan lines, red, green & blue (don't know what they're for), which should be above the visible part of the screen.
    Probably over time the settings on your set have drifted slightly & you can now just see the bottom line, the blue one.
    If you get into the service menu you can raise the whole screen a couple of lines & you won't see it any more (I've got the instructions somewhere).
    I think your dvd player has two scarts on the rear, so you should be link the scart output from your digibox to your dvd player & from your dvd player to your tv input AV1 & run them both in RGB.
    It's called daisy chaining & which ever one is powered up will take priority.

Cheer, Paul

17. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ok thanks guys ill give that a try.

18. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Paul thanks for the reply, which scart cables should i get for best picture quality, obviously i need two. But dont want to spend silly money. And where to get them from (richers?) would this be a better option than using the s-video that im using at the moment?

19. B Caine

B Caine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have this TV and the FD1 is a great telly. I have mine set to RGB by scart 1, you can then go to the menu and you will find an RGB setting to adjust Verticle edges, Horizontal edges, up down together or independantly, you will find that you can move the whole picture up or down and get rid of the lines at the top of the screen. You will IMHO get a better pic in RGB mode. Hope this helps.

20. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Spend what you can afford Geezer.
    I've got a couple of IXOS scart cables & the improvement over the bog standard ones was noticeable.
    I'm sure Richer Sounds is as good a place as any to get your cables.
    As B Caine says an RGB picture will be an improvement over the s-video you've got at the moment (but not vastly IMHO) & it will save you inputting through a cable on the front of your set.
    I don't believe any of the scarts can be s-video configured on the FD1.
    Also as B Caine explained, you have RGB geometry adjustments available from the standard installation menu rather than going into the service menu.

Cheers, Paul