Sony DVD player - Xvid question

danjaq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Sony DAV-DZ700FW, it plays DivX codec AVIs fine, however it will not play those encoded with Xvid. I have tried software to convert them into DivX so the player will recognise it, however they take forever to do and usually the audio has lip sync issues.

Am I best to buy an Xvid able player (cheapy) or what can I do?!

Thanks in advance.

That's strange usually a player labelled "DivX compatible" will also play XviD files.

This is your product right?

Singh400 said:
That's strange usually a player labelled "DivX compatible" will also play XviD files.

This is your product right?

Yer mate - that's the puppy!

Well, danjaq, the only experience I have with good DivX players are the Pioneer players. I'd say the new 696 would do the trick.

As you, I have a Sony DVD player (a NS76H) that says it's DivX certified, but that player can only put out 4:3 picture in DivX playback. A nasty surprise if you are after a DivX player. But I bought it for its good HDMI performance to my projektor and I use my Pioneer 585 for the rare occation I need to play a DivX file.

So, I conclude your opinion; If you want to see DivX files....stay away from Sony products.

mummra said:
Well, danjaq, the only experience I have with good DivX players are the Pioneer players. I'd say the new 696 would do the trick.

As you, I have a Sony DVD player (a NS76H) that says it's DivX certified, but that player can only put out 4:3 picture in DivX playback. A nasty surprise if you are after a DivX player. But I bought it for its good HDMI performance to my projektor and I use my Pioneer 585 for the rare occation I need to play a DivX file.

So, I conclude your opinion; If you want to see DivX files....stay away from Sony products.

Hi - just to clarify mate, I am talking about Xvid rather than DivX! My player does the DivX okay ...

Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changers to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

As long as your Xvid hasn't been encoded using any of the more exotic settings (you might have problems with packed bitstreams), this may be a way of fooling your player into decoding the Xvids as if they are Divx.

Greg Mandel said:
Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changes to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

As long as your Xvid hasn't been encoded using any of the more exotic settings (you might have problems with packed bitstreams), this may be a way of fooling your player into decoding the Xvids as if they are Divx.
Good idea :thumbsup: Theres no reason why that shouldn't work. Give it ago.

Singh400 said:
Good idea :thumbsup: Theres no reason why that shouldn't work. Give it ago.

Thanks to both of you - I did try the FourCC changer, if I recall correctly (and I'll try again tonight to confirm and report back) the audio did not come out after it was changed.

Aprreciate everyone's help in this matter.

I have the same player and I hate this problem! I contacted Sony for a firmaware change etc, but no luck.

Greg Mandel said:
Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changers to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

What progmram do I use to change the header info, post or PM the link please ;)

danjaq2004 said:
Thanks to both of you - I did try the FourCC changer, if I recall correctly (and I'll try again tonight to confirm and report back) the audio did not come out after it was changed.

Aprreciate everyone's help in this matter.
Maybe if it doesn't come out, strip the audio from the original, then add it to the new DivX file with VirtualDub.

mummra said:

My son downloaded some stuff which did the black border stuff.
Later he downloaded using a different programme and the pictures were full screen.
I don't really understand the ins and outs, but could the way you download it be a factor?

ash said:
I have the same player and I hate this problem! I contacted Sony for a firmaware change etc, but no luck.

What progmram do I use to change the header info, post or PM the link please ;)

If you've installed Xvid on a PC recently, it comes with a FourCC changer. Else just Google for Fourcc Changer and you'll find loads.

WGLOVER said:
My son downloaded some stuff which did the black border stuff.
Later he downloaded using a different programme and the pictures were full screen.
I don't really understand the ins and outs, but could the way you download it be a factor?

It's down to the way the file was created, and how your player plays it. Methods of download don't change that.

ash said:
Maybe if it doesn't come out, strip the audio from the original, then add it to the new DivX file with VirtualDub.

If sound isn't playing, the first culprit could be the sound being VBR audio, which a lot of players don't handle. Simpler would be just to process it from VBR to CBR using Virtualdub. The newer versions of Virtualdub can do it all in one go, though you may need a better MP3 Codec than the one that comes with Windows.

There is a hack out there that gets rid of the artificial limits Microsoft has placed on the encoding of MP3, and with it you can recode MP3 to sensible bitrates.

Hi tried FourCC changer to 4 Xvid encoded avi files and none of them would work on the player - it said something like 'data error - Divx'.

What a mess about!!

Hi

Since it has proven a pain to convert the DIVX files to XVID - can anyone please recommend a cheapy (RGB scart) player that I can soley use for XVID movie-playback please?

Thanks a lot.

danjaq2004 said:
Hi

Since it has proven a pain to convert the DIVX files to XVID - can anyone please recommend a cheapy (RGB scart) player that I can soley use for XVID movie-playback please?

Thanks a lot.

Did you try the firmware update?

txemix said:
Did you try the firmware update?

I will now, didn't have a CD handy at the time to try it .... has anyone tried it and knows that it works?

Ta.

Maybe this website will help you. It'll check xvid compatibility for any player.

Click here for video help

trulskaare said:
Maybe this website will help you. It'll check xvid compatibility for any player.

Click here for video help

Great site, thanks very much - according to that, it looks like the firmware update does allow Xvid, just about to test it out now ...

SUPBERB! The firmware update worked, good stuff! Thanks.

WOW! Thanks, I'm burning the firmware upgrade. My player is multi-region, if I upgrade the firmware, it won't be multiregion anymore?

ash said:
WOW! Thanks, I'm burning the firmware upgrade. My player is multi-region, if I upgrade the firmware, it won't be multiregion anymore?

I think so, maybe someone can confirm that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom