• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony DVD player - Xvid question

danjaq

Established Member
Hi

I have a Sony DAV-DZ700FW, it plays DivX codec AVIs fine, however it will not play those encoded with Xvid. I have tried software to convert them into DivX so the player will recognise it, however they take forever to do and usually the audio has lip sync issues.

Am I best to buy an Xvid able player (cheapy) or what can I do?!

Thanks in advance.
 

mummra

Standard Member
Well, danjaq, the only experience I have with good DivX players are the Pioneer players. I'd say the new 696 would do the trick.

As you, I have a Sony DVD player (a NS76H) that says it's DivX certified, but that player can only put out 4:3 picture in DivX playback. A nasty surprise if you are after a DivX player. But I bought it for its good HDMI performance to my projektor and I use my Pioneer 585 for the rare occation I need to play a DivX file.

So, I conclude your opinion; If you want to see DivX files....stay away from Sony products.
 

danjaq

Established Member
mummra said:
Well, danjaq, the only experience I have with good DivX players are the Pioneer players. I'd say the new 696 would do the trick.

As you, I have a Sony DVD player (a NS76H) that says it's DivX certified, but that player can only put out 4:3 picture in DivX playback. A nasty surprise if you are after a DivX player. But I bought it for its good HDMI performance to my projektor and I use my Pioneer 585 for the rare occation I need to play a DivX file.

So, I conclude your opinion; If you want to see DivX files....stay away from Sony products.

Hi - just to clarify mate, I am talking about Xvid rather than DivX! My player does the DivX okay ...
 

Greg Mandel

Established Member
Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changers to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

As long as your Xvid hasn't been encoded using any of the more exotic settings (you might have problems with packed bitstreams), this may be a way of fooling your player into decoding the Xvids as if they are Divx.
 

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Greg Mandel said:
Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changes to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

As long as your Xvid hasn't been encoded using any of the more exotic settings (you might have problems with packed bitstreams), this may be a way of fooling your player into decoding the Xvids as if they are Divx.
Good idea :thumbsup: Theres no reason why that shouldn't work. Give it ago.
 

danjaq

Established Member
Singh400 said:
Good idea :thumbsup: Theres no reason why that shouldn't work. Give it ago.

Thanks to both of you - I did try the FourCC changer, if I recall correctly (and I'll try again tonight to confirm and report back) the audio did not come out after it was changed.

Aprreciate everyone's help in this matter.
 

ash

Prominent Member
I have the same player and I hate this problem! I contacted Sony for a firmaware change etc, but no luck.

Greg Mandel said:
Sony seems to have deliberately limited their DivX and Xvid support. If you can play Divx successfully, then a quicker fix instead of full re-conversion might be to simply use one of the various FourCC changers to change the header info in the file from Xvid to Divx. It only takes a few seconds.

As long as your Xvid hasn't been encoded using any of the more exotic settings (you might have problems with packed bitstreams), this may be a way of fooling your player into decoding the Xvids as if they are Divx.

What progmram do I use to change the header info, post or PM the link please ;)
 

ash

Prominent Member
danjaq2004 said:
Thanks to both of you - I did try the FourCC changer, if I recall correctly (and I'll try again tonight to confirm and report back) the audio did not come out after it was changed.

Aprreciate everyone's help in this matter.
Maybe if it doesn't come out, strip the audio from the original, then add it to the new DivX file with VirtualDub.
 

WGLOVER

Established Member
mummra said:
Well, danjaq, the only experience I have with good DivX players are the Pioneer players. I'd say the new 696 would do the trick.

As you, I have a Sony DVD player (a NS76H) that says it's DivX certified, but that player can only put out 4:3 picture in DivX playback. A nasty surprise if you are after a DivX player. But I bought it for its good HDMI performance to my projektor and I use my Pioneer 585 for the rare occation I need to play a DivX file.

So, I conclude your opinion; If you want to see DivX files....stay away from Sony products.


My son downloaded some stuff which did the black border stuff.
Later he downloaded using a different programme and the pictures were full screen.
I don't really understand the ins and outs, but could the way you download it be a factor?
 

Greg Mandel

Established Member
WGLOVER said:
My son downloaded some stuff which did the black border stuff.
Later he downloaded using a different programme and the pictures were full screen.
I don't really understand the ins and outs, but could the way you download it be a factor?

It's down to the way the file was created, and how your player plays it. Methods of download don't change that.
 

Greg Mandel

Established Member
ash said:
Maybe if it doesn't come out, strip the audio from the original, then add it to the new DivX file with VirtualDub.

If sound isn't playing, the first culprit could be the sound being VBR audio, which a lot of players don't handle. Simpler would be just to process it from VBR to CBR using Virtualdub. The newer versions of Virtualdub can do it all in one go, though you may need a better MP3 Codec than the one that comes with Windows.

There is a hack out there that gets rid of the artificial limits Microsoft has placed on the encoding of MP3, and with it you can recode MP3 to sensible bitrates.
 

danjaq

Established Member
Hi tried FourCC changer to 4 Xvid encoded avi files and none of them would work on the player - it said something like 'data error - Divx'.

What a mess about!!
 

danjaq

Established Member
Hi

Since it has proven a pain to convert the DIVX files to XVID - can anyone please recommend a cheapy (RGB scart) player that I can soley use for XVID movie-playback please?

Thanks a lot.
 

txemix

Standard Member
danjaq2004 said:
Hi

Since it has proven a pain to convert the DIVX files to XVID - can anyone please recommend a cheapy (RGB scart) player that I can soley use for XVID movie-playback please?

Thanks a lot.

Did you try the firmware update?
 
T

trulskaare

Guest
Maybe this website will help you. It'll check xvid compatibility for any player.

Click here for video help
 

danjaq

Established Member
trulskaare said:
Maybe this website will help you. It'll check xvid compatibility for any player.

Click here for video help

Great site, thanks very much - according to that, it looks like the firmware update does allow Xvid, just about to test it out now ...

SUPBERB! The firmware update worked, good stuff! Thanks.
 

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom