Sony DVD player problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aldiboronti, Apr 25, 2004.

1. aldiboronti

aldiboronti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My son just bought a Sony DVD player, DVP-NS330. He got a couple of DVDs from HMV - The Firm, Only Fools and Horses - and they played just fine.

So today he buys Catch Me If You Can at HMV, pops it in the slot and sits back to watch the movie. He should be so lucky! The DVD plays for a few seconds, switches back to the TV channel, then back again, and so forth every few seconds.

He takes the DVD back and exchanges it for Identity. Same result.

He tries his other DVDs (Firm, Fools/Horses). They still play fine.

By now he's tearing his hair out and frantically phoning me. Has anybody here any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

2. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The switching between DVD and TV is controlled by pin 8 of the scart lead. As you press play on the DVD the TV receives a signal via this pin to select the appropriate TV AV input. I have never heard of different DVDs causing a switching problem like this though, I would check to make sure the scart lead is inserted correctly each end. It could be the player has a fault, can he exchange it for another one?

Andy.

3. aldiboronti

aldiboronti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, he's thinking of changing it for a Hyundai. Understandably, he's been put off all Sony products now!

My son is even less technologically savvy than me and he's completely baffled by the problem. He bought it from a catalogue, so there's no problem with changing it. Of course, the downside is that there's no technical support, as there might be if he'd purchased from a store.

I'll call him when he gets back from work and tell him to double check the scart lead, but it is strange that only some DVDs should be affected.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post back any developments.