1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD NPS 300 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kings, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Kings

Kings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can help........... Sony and Toshiba are at a loss

I have an elderly but nice Toshiba Prologic TV a db2725, to which I have just installed a Sony NPS300 dvd via a scart connection.

Everything appears fine except........every now and then the brightness/contrast of dvd's seems to go up and down on its own. You can watch the dvd's ok but it is annoying.

I have tried many other dvd's all with the same result, I have used different scart leads, and I have swapped the dvd player {at Sony's suggestion} but the new player does the same.

As a last resort I have tried it on another basic TV and that appears fine, so it seems it is a compatability problems with the TV.

Sony blame Toshiba {understandably}
    Toshiba cannot explain it.

Is there anyone out there who has heard of this problem before and if so how did they remedy it ?

I suspect that at the end of the day I will have to trundle down to the shops to buy a new Sony Widescreen {I am not that saddened by this}.

If I do have to have a new Sony Widescreen what would people suggest I go for ?

thanks for reading this

Kings

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the problem occur under RGB, s-video and composite?

Older Toshiba sets were known to have some problems with RGB which did not happen with s-video.

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like what happens when Macrovision cuts in ?

Have you got your VCR connected up in your system somewhere ?

Just a thought.

4. book girl

book girl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kings,
    My brother has just bought himself a sony dvdnps 300 together with a brand new samsung widescreen and he is complaining of exactly the same problem. so it is obviously the player not the T.V

Bookgirl x

5. Kings

Kings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The connection I am using is scart, I have tried RGB {same result}

I do have a Toshiba VHS video connected via a spare scart,

What is Macrovision ? and how do I stop it ?

Kings

6. book girl

book girl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kings

My brother apparently just changed the scart lead from av1 to av2 on the tv (or visa versa, i can't remember which) and it seems to have been alright since, although he has been away so the problem may have reaccured. Do not connect your vcr in any way to your dvd, as it affects the picture and could be the cause of the problem. expensive scarts seem to be worth the money, you could give that a try. I had an alba 103 were the contrast keep flashing light to dark but i just got my money back on it and brought a samsung 709 which has been great. Macrovison is the device that prevents you from copying dvds to video. although the hack i put on mine turned it off, unfortunately with the sony there are no hacks that i know of that work as i have been looking for my bro so he can have multi region etc. hope this helps.

Bookgirl