1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DVD handset hack - help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by davenewt, Jun 19, 2005.

1. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.

I need some help with a handset hack for my DVD player. I have a Sony DVP-CX850 (200 disc) player. The only handset hack info I can find is on videohelp.com. Here's the link to the hack instructions (which I've quoted below, so you don't need to click this really :) ).

I can access the service menu fine, using [TITLE] [CLEAR] [POWERON] [5] as per the instructions :thumbsup:

However, I cannot change the region - or, rather, I cannot understand what the instructions are telling me to do to achieve this! What does "Remote control command Function" mean? I get the feeling it isn't telling me to press a "Function" button because it's not written as [FUNCTION] like all the other button commands have been written, and there doesn't appear to be a Function button on the remote!

I have tried putting the player in standby and pressing just [1] [ENTER], then accessing the service menu, but the region is still showing up as 2. (The instructions say that "the selected region is visible in the service menu" so I'm under the impression this should change when you successfully change the region setting??? :confused:

I have also tried both ENTER buttons on the remote (there's one under the 9 button on the numeric keypad, and there's the button in the centre of the jog dial which on the CX850 remote is marked "ENTER").

See attached pic (here's a link to the original in case the attachment breaks) Well, this is actually a pic of the CX860 remote, which is the closest I can find. The CX850 remote differs in that...

1) There's a "Mega Control" button top left (in place of the Open/Close button on the CX860 remote).
    2) There's a "Setup" button in the space between the TV/DVD selector and the power button at the top.
    3) The button in the centre of the jog dial is also marked "Enter"

So, can anyone see a Function button? Can anyone tell me what I need to press before [1] [ENTER] when in standby mode to get the region to change?

Really I guess what I want to do is enable "Autoswitching" so I can play any regions. But again, I'd need to know what to press before [SHUFFLE] [ENTER]!

Anyone got any ideas? :lease:

Thanks,
    Dave.

Attached Files:

2. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sorry but those instuctions apply to a machine thats already been modified!There is no handset hack for this model (its over 5 years old!), it requires a firmware modification which requires the unit to be stripped down.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217594 for more info on sony models.

3. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yargh. :(

Thanks for the info Justin. Now to find somewhere to chip it in Ireland!?!

Or I could order the kit (saw it online somewhere the other day for 20 quid).

Not sure it'd be within my capability to do it myself though. Or would it? (I'm no idiot with a soldering iron, but then again it's not like I use one every week :) )

Thanks again,
    Dave.

4. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking into this again this morning (in the pleasantly warm light of day here!)... am I right in thinking I need one of these?...

http://www.multiregionupgrades.co.uk/upgrades/oldmods/725a.htm

I'd obviously like to be able to do this myself, but reading the installation blurb here and the red text on this page makes me think twice!

Is there anywhere in Ireland, preferably Dublin, who will do this mod for me? :lease:

Because on reflection, I don't think I'll be able to manage this myself!

Thanks,
    Dave.

5. Steve1971

Steve1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, dvd-ireland.com (with hyphen) appears to be a different site altogether. Just called their number and got someone who isn't Martin and doesn't know anyone called Martin :blush:

dvdireland.com (without hyphen), meanwhile, doesn't appear to exist? :confused:

8. Steve1971

Steve1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry but I have no idea what your problem is , all you need to do is click the link www.dvdireland.com to open that site

Steve

9. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My "problem" is that when I click the link, the request times out because the site cannot be found. It is obviously offline. Google appears to have a cache of it (from 10 Jun) but otherwise I cannot access it.

That's all. I'll keep trying.

Thanks anyway.
    Dave.

10. Steve1971

Steve1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well everytime I click on it it works fine , I can even refresh it

Steve

11. Steve1971

Steve1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try accessing it from home tonight... still not working for me now. Doh! Never had this problem before. Strange.

13. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have sent email to the address you provided Steve... thanks again. Still no idea why I can't access the site. Grr :(

14. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Thats usually a sign of a DNS update with your ISP. You`ll usually get this info from your ISPs "status" page if theres any DNS or HTTP updates. Try a different `puter with different ISP, or leave it a day and try again and should be ok, as works fine for me too ;)

15. davenewt

davenewt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Justin, and Steve! Email has gone to dvdireland, which I can now access from home (so was probably the DNS like Justin said).

Hope to hear something shortly :)

Cheers again :thumbsup:
    Dave.

16. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No worries :)