sony dvd firmware updates.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ecc83, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ecc83

ecc83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    New(old) boy here.

I have a Sony GXD500 and a VX 420 and neither will record on TDK DVD+R. The 500 will play copies of dvd+rw's burned by pc onto TDK. The 420 will 50% of the time. My £15 Alba player plays just about anything!

TDK advise a firmware update but the Sony site is totally impenetrable and keeps locking me out with *&^%like" you have not entered a product value".

Sonycentre Northampton were anoymous, brief and totally useless. They said the updates come off air from Freeview. The VX420 does not have a Freeview tuner! My pc knowledge is limited but SOFTWARE updates are broadcast (EPG and such) but FIRMWARE??

Any help you can render I shall be grateful for.

Dave.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hello Dave..and a belated welcome to the forum... and a belated reply - just 3 years too late.[Your username caught my eye - Nice one]

I missed this post as it has evidently been moved from somewhere else.

The first thing to say is that aside from any issues you may have with these discs it is always better to use '-' type discs in Japanese origin machines.... especially these days, as all material is restricted to 4:3 ratio if and when you record on '+' type discs on these machines.

These machines must be long in the tooth now so I doubt there will be any firmware updates available for them.

Just about all problems of this sort can be laid at the door of two issues:
    Disc quality and compatibility.

Ideally you should obtain disc blanks made in the Taiyo Yuden factory in Japan.
    They are the most reliable in the world and have the greatest compatibility with your machines.
    They are currently sold under the JVC brand name.

3. ecc83

ecc83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gavtech,

Things certainly have moved on! I have dumped the Sonys and gone thru an LG. Good machine but always locked up sporadically and then one day would not reset.
    I bought a Toshiba two years ago and that is still going strong except the remote. A strip and clean fixed it for a month but I eventually had to spring for a new one.

Then I bought a Panasonic and despite my great resistance I also bought 3 yrs extended warranty on it. I am now running video and sound in from my suburban garden for my bird mad wife and burning the results. I intend to get my monies worth from the 3 yr warranty!

Note. The DVD problem with the Sony (and many other such machines it seems) is a plastic guide in the laser unit that wears and the unit becomes progressively misaligned. It can be fixed with a small allen key!

As for dvd blanks I buy the cheapest I can! Often Sainsburies get the price wrong and I clean them out! I use Sony but mostly TDK and Verbatim and have almost no problems. I cannot say I notice any difference twixt -R and +R? One oddity about a year ago. My HP i3 laptop would not burn the second recovery disc to a Verbatim +R and I had to go out and buy 10 TDK -Rs to complete! Bit traumatic because of course you can only burn ONE set of W7 recovery discs.

I am presently having trouble with an i-CAN HD tuner and Sandy Heath. Anybody know owt?

Dave.