SONY DSC-W7 Question

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ChrisMC, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ChrisMC

ChrisMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning

I've recently bought a SONY DSC-W7 and have been trailblazing it over
    the last few weeks to make sure everything works okay. One thing I
    did notice is that if I am in a low light situation (front room in the evening)
    and change from Normal shot mode to Burst or Multi-Burst Mode the LCD
    display dims (its stays dim if I go from Burst to Multi-Burst). If I try this in a
    good light situation (outdoors) the LCD doesn't darken. Firstly I'm not sure if
    this is normal - so if anyone can enlighten me that would be appreciated.
    My view was that if I go to Burst or Multi-Burst the camera will swith the flash
    off due to recycle time but increase the shutter speed and hence set the
    apeture to a wide opening to get the light - in which case I'd expect the LCD
    to be brighter?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

C

2. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just tried similar on my new W7 and mine dims too, so I guess it's not a fault. One thing I have noticed on movie mode is that my camera every few seconds makes a very faint mechanical noise, only just audible on playblack and when there's no other sound to mask it. I assume its the focussing mechanism - my previous dsc p5 was very noisy. My son's version of the W7 bought at the same time in black (W17) is however totally silent. Must say I'm astounded by the pictures - almost 3d quality.

3. ChrisMC

ChrisMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Relay

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. My father came down at the weekend and has just bought a Sony H1. This has the dim lcd 'feature' too. I've got a query into Sony to ascertain why it does this so if I get an answer I'll post it on.

I'll take a look at mine in movie mode...have to admit I've not looked at this ability.

My dad'd H1 is fantastic though - it has image stabilisation which works a treat given the zoom range of the H1. I struggle to get a clear zoom picture on my W7 but on the H1 I took clear photos every time. It was a bit bulky though!

Cheers

C