1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DSC-U20 vs. Canon Ixus

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by CodeMonkey_UK, Jan 24, 2003.

1. CodeMonkey_UK

CodeMonkey_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd appreciate your views on the pros and cons of the Sony and Canon models. I'm interested in getting the Sony DSC-U20, but a friend of mine says I should consider an equivelent Canon Ixus model. I don't know what the equivelant model is, but would appreciate some advice from anyone who has used either (or even both) of these cameras.

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it happens, i spent most of yesterday looking at just this.

The canon equivalent is either the S200 or IXUS V2.

It looks to me that the canon is the better camera of the two, but the sony will allow faster shooting.

If i get one, im going to test each for a bit first (probably get them from high street, return them and buy on line).

Try here for reviews of each

http://www.dcviews.com/

If you do get one, can you give me your views on it.

I'm looking for a take anywhere camera which allows for very quick/easy shooting (e.g while clubbing etc) so low light performance is important.

Image quality does not need to be fantastic, as i'll use my 35mm SLR for proper pictures.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    The ixus should be better on features, and it has a zoom. But the Sony is tiny, if portability is key.

If you are willing to go to the larger Ixus, then you should also look at other simliar sized cameras, including the Sony P series.

4. CodeMonkey_UK

CodeMonkey_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info guys. Turns out one of my work buddies has the Ixus. I had a play with it today and as impressive as it is, I found it very heavy and considerably larger than the Sony. As you said, it may not be a fair comparison due to the zoom + other features (such as greater Mpeg capacity + sound).

I also had a play with the Sony U20 in Dixons at the weekend and it's soo tiny I think it's what I'm gonna go for - just as soon as someone starts stocking them in silver!

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought me a U20 for snaps when out partaying. Great to throw in the pocket, takes great photos and takes them quick. I've also got a few phone numbers based entirely on how cool the thing looks! Can't be bad.