1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DSC-U20 alternative?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by W99, Jun 19, 2003.

1. W99

W99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I was wondering if the Sony DSC-U20 comes in a 3MP (in which case it obviously wouldn't be called a U20). If not, is there an alternative? It must be 3MP and be approximately the same size and weight as the DSC-U20. Thanks.

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm pretty sure that a 3mp version of the Sony (if they ever make one) wouldn't be any better than the 2mp U20. There are so many conpromises to make cameras that small that they will be easily bettered by lower resolution but larger models with decent lenses and AF IMO. The U20 is great for what it is though.

Here's Sony's latest press release U60 and U30 Keep an eye on Steve's Digicams Breaking News for more details.

3. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a U20, just before I bought it I saw the press release for the U30, but as far as I can see there are no differences between the two. I may have missed something however.

The U20 is a great camera, OK so the pics aren't fantastic quality, but you get the advantage that you can carry it everywhere and not miss a photo opportunity.

I carry it everywhere now, but when i go on holiday or to an event where i know i'm going to need pictures i'll take my 35m SLR. (until I get a digital SLR anyway)

But for stumbling around a nightclub in the early hours, the U20 is unbeatable. It's pretty much indestructible too.

BTW, just re-read the original post and this may not be too relevant, if so please ignore this as an inane rambling.

4. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have a DSC-U20 that I got free with my sony laptop.
    Love the size but wanted zoom and 3MP so after much research I narrowed my replacement down to Ixus II and the F410.
    Yes I know both are a bit bigger and heavier but not that much. I plumped for the F410 cos it had the better zoom and I have owned two FinePix models previously. Also the fact that Dixon group are doing the F410 for £269 without cradle helped.

Just used the F410 earlier today on my daugthers sports day and felt it was nearly as pocketable as the U20. Fits ok in my front jeans pocket - bigger bulge that the U20 but worth it!