1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DSC P71 - Comments please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Saint4320, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went along today to buy my first camera, having set my sights on the Canon PS A40. Having had a good play with it I have to confess I was a tad disappointed and came away without buying. Conscious that its an entry level I wasn't expecting too much but just didn't get a buzz from it at all.

Can't fault it as a camera - just didn't excite me.

However, what did was Sony's DSC P71 which I really liked. Didn't buy it as I hadn't gone prepared to get it aND hadn't really considered it at all.

Any views before I proceed? Being new to digi cameras I'm not too sure where the Sony sits in terms of its reputation/performance in the cam.
    market.

I feel like I am back to square one so any comments or other recommendations in the up to £275 bracket would be welcome.

Thanks

Paul.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a similar message last week ('anyone recommend a good 3 megapixel camera?' or something!) and this one got a lot of mention. Check out www.pricerunner.com (should redirect to a uk site) where you can basically choose all the ones you like and it compiles them all into a grid so you can compare. There's also a price list, and you'll see that the P71 is available on the net exceptionally cheap (I ordered mine for under £250 last weekend from Indigo (which seems to be a Sony outlet). Feedback for them has been great and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

3. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a P71 since Christmas and I am very please with it. It is easy to use in a point and shoot way and image quality is very good. Its my first digital camera so I can not say that I have much to compare it to but I would describe it as a good basic camera. I paid £254 including delivery and am very happy. The only downside is perhaps the fact that the camera comes with 2 rechargable batteries that you remove from the camera and take 13 hours to charge. I've just purchased some additional batteries from Argos so no problem really.

Brendan