1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DSC-P12, P10 or P8

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by timculverhouse, May 26, 2004.

1. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to everyone,

My fiancee and I have been considering buying a digital camera as we're going away to Mexico in July on honeymoon.

We have a Sony Camcorder PC101E and are very pleased with it, both being able to use it, edit on PC and transfer back to tape for viewing on TV. Therefore we are both keen to purchase a Sony product, not least because we can use the memory sticks we've purchased for the 1.0mp still camera on the camcorder in the new digital camera.

We have a 35mm camera but we don't really use it due to costs of processing and now we have the stills facility on the camcorder I think it must be over a year since it was last used. However, the camcorder is not a digital camera, and on some photos the quality is quite poor. We've both had a look around and like the look on the Sony Cybershots DSC-P8, P10 and P12.

Firstly, I notice that amazon no longer sell the P10 and I've read somewhere that the P12 replaced it? Secondly could someone tell me whether its worth going that extra bit to get the P12 and what exactly we get in addition (some of the terminology on Amazon etc is too confusing :confused: )

I've found the P12 on Amazon for £240 which I think is pretty good considering Kelkoo couldn't match that price by £27. The budget is around £250.

Any comments very gratefully received.

:) Tim and Shirley

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's tough to suggest what camera to go for without knowing what you want to do with it.

As an example a 2 Mpix camera is fine for 6x4 photos, but if you want to print any larger (ever) you will need more pixels. Have you any idea how large you'll ever want to print?

Are you happy with a Point & Shoot or do you want more manual control. Neither the P8 or P10 (don't know about the P12) have Aperture or Shutter priority restricting your options on manual shooting.

Finally, out of interest, where in Mexico are you going. I'm going in a couple of weeks to just south of Playa Del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera.

3. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

Don't really want to do much more than point and shoot with the option of changing settings such as "outdoor" or fireworks. Does the P8 or P10 let you change the shutter speed.

Will want to print photos onto normal 6x4 or 5x3 and only occassionally A4 (which I guess the 5mp P12 could cope with easily).

I know I said I would like a Sony Camera but I wondered if you have any reservations surrounding Sony products which I should be aware of before I buy?

We're going to the El Dorado Royale which is about 20 miles south of Cancun on the Mayan Riviera for 10 days from 6 July. Looking forward to it a lot!

Cheers :thumbsup:

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have no reservations about Sony at all, I like Sony stuff - you can't manually set shutter speed with the P8 or P10 so I'm guessing the same applies with the P12, this doesn't mean to say there aren't presets that will do it for you.

Another thing to look into is start up time and shutter lag, these can be long on digital cameras and can be the difference between getting the shot and not.

5Mpix will do A4 easy.

I have a Canon A80 (4Mpix) and can't rate it highly enough, manual controls, compact and with the flip out LCD. However of course it uses Compactflash which you would need to buy additionally. I have a custom mode set up that allows very little shutter lag.

5. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The P10 and P12 are exactly the same, the P12 is newer and is a darker colour. The big advantage of the P12 is that it comes with a spare lithium battery (about £35) as standard. They are both fairly simple to use and certainly good value for money. The P10 is generally around £40 cheaper because it is older and only has the one battery, so if you have the money available the P12 is the one to go for. Alternatively the P93 (I think thats the one Im thinking of!) is precisely the same specs again (5mp and 3x optical zoom) but uses AA batteries, so will be more approriate in a 'battery related emergency' as the batteries are obviously widely available. Personally out of the Sonys in that price range, I would opt for the P12.

6. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to matiano and andrewdolphin for your comments.

just wondered where I could find out about start up times on the P12. Can't see anything on the tech/spec pages on websites. I suppose I could walk into Jessops and ask?

I think i will probably go for the P12 but when I told a colleague two mins ago that I was buying a camera he said I should go for the Pentax Optio s4i "it's the way forward".

Does anyone have any comments on the Pentax before I go committing myself too much?

Thanks again
    Tim :thumbsup:

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd suggest reading the summary reviews here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/optios4i_pg5.html
    http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/p10_pg5.html

The pentax is very small, however I'd be sceptical about other people's advice, for example take a look up to my previous posts, I've recommended you to the Canon, I use it, I love it - but it might not be right for you. Only you can decide that.

If you can go and have a play with some cameras, the look and feel (in particular) can be quite important too.

8. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pentax is the ideal pocet camera. I personally prefer something 'holdable'. The On/Off button is actually in the worst possible position precisely where the shutter button should be! Having said that it has a pleasant 4mp and a stunning 3xoptical for the size of the camera. Pricewise its fairly similar to the SOny but u r paying for the size rather than the spec. I am a 'canon man' like andrewdolphin. Do everything u need, easily and efficiently. But as Andrew says its very much down to personal preference.

9. bt521hs

bt521hs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    p10 & p12 replaced by p100 and120 respectively. main diff is the new range is couple mm slimmmer and uses the carl zeiss lens as opposed to sony lens.
    Canon buyers can apply for free 128mb memory through mum plus one site!
    I f size doesn't matter, trry the panasonic lc70 from the official site at £199. It uses leica lens!!