Sony DSC-N1 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by 5to1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Looking for a camera for the girlfriends birthday. This is coming to the top of the list so far. Does anyone have any first hand opinions?

The main things I think she'll want are:

Good pictures of course
    Compact
    Easy to use
    Aesthetically pleasing
    Reasonable Battery life

The DSC-N1 seems to meet all of those requirements. And it has a big screen so she can view her shots without dragging them of to the laptop.

The only bad points I can see are:

Cant use my CF memory cards with it
    £300, which is about as much as I want to spend. Unless anyone knows somewhere better to get it from.

Thanks

2. cu3ed

cu3ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yea i got one, although im not entirely happy with it, focusing can be off sometimes, alot of noise whows up fo rno reason even in outdoor shots, the touch screen works amazingly well, its not the smallest and its quite heavy for a compact, battery life is very good.

Wouldnt say the asthetics are that great, the new nikons and canons look way better for the money, have you looked at a Panasonic FX8, very nice little things, ok its 5 million, but that should be enough for your girl, looks gorgeous too, way more compact but has a large screen, plus the leica lens does a better job.

Its also about £219.99 in shops, also it takes SD cards which are WAY cheaper than sonys MS.

3. md644

md644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Another vote for the Canon Ixus range, very good image quality, good looking and good battery life. Only fault I can really think of is the "Ai focus" can be a bit hit and miss.
    I think another thread mentioned the Ixus 750 at £250ish...good camera for that sort of money.
    I'm not sure of any small digicams that take CF cards now, they're all pretty much SD (or MS or XD).

4. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Sorry meant SD not CF.

5. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I've had a few of the IXUS range. I think its time for a change.

Will take a look at the FX8.

Thanks for the input.

6. cu3ed

cu3ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What, yoube seen the new Ixus range? their not even released yet!?

7. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    No i mean i've had them in the past. So looking for a change from cannon.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I was looking at the Sony T9 as a replacement for my V1, and as a compact 'always there' sidekick for my 350d. But the lumix fx8/9 have also caught my eye. Both have optical stabilsation

9. schnoz

schnoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wonderful 3 inch touch screen.
    Fast startup time.
    The Album feature that keeps a smaller file sized version of any photos that you take, up to 500 of them on the built-in memory, good for keeping on your camera as a form of wallet or handbag album.
    Compact enough for my wife and I.
    Very good battery life.
    Yes it takes relatively expensive Memory stick Pro Duo cards, it's needed to be able to be written to and read from quickly.At £39 inc vat and speedy postage for a 1Gb card from this place Can't see the problem.
    http://www.picstop.co.uk/PSP-Memory/SanDisk-Memory-Stick-PRO-Duo-(PSP-Memory)---1GB/Feed_929
    When I 1st bought a 256Mb one of these 18 months ago it was the same price!.
    As for focus problems, care does need to be taken to get good results.
    Re picture noise issues.Check Exif details with a decent photo editor to see what film speed the camera used, above 400 Iso photos can become grainy.Try setting a manual film speed of about 100 or so,though be aware that if the light is low you risk camera/subject shake.
    when I first got a digital camera,movie mode wasn't much of a consideration, now I absolutely love it.Movie mode (Memory stick Pro Duo card is needed for the highest quality) is excellent on this camera and we're able to create good quality Dvds using 3rd party software of our holidays etc.
    The only minus if I had to be picky is that the battery takes about 4 1/2hrs from flat to reach what Sony call "practical" charge when the light goes out and a further hour if you want full charge.We'll be buying a spare battery just in case.
    Tesco sell an excellent quality case that fits this camera for a bargain £1.99!
    Sure you can get smaller and cheaper, but you can probably tell by now I'm highly impressed by this camera.:thumbsup:

10. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Thanks for the updates.

I'm actually giving her my old laptop now, R100. My friend spilled water on it and I couldn't wait for the new keyboard to arrive so bought a new one.

So instead of giving her another consumer gift, I'm going to take her on holiday as the main present.

11. deskret

deskret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0