sony dru 500a dvd writer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stormchaser, Mar 11, 2003.

1. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    does anyone know of a supplier that has the sony dru 500a dvd writer in stock?
    cheers

2. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  3. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony writer is like rocking horse **** to get hold of. I first read about this dvd writer back in October. I have searched everywhere for one.

My local SONY CENTRE says they have no date or price for it and as far as they are concerned "it hasn't been released yet".

?????

Sony online customer service got back to me with this:

"Thank you for your interest in purchasing the Sony DRU500A / DRX500UL the
    world's FIRST dual format DVD +/-RW drive.

The enormous demand for these dual format DVD rewriters is currently in
    excess of our production capacity and steps are being taken to address this.
    We apologise for the temporary insufficient supply to the market. Sony is
    committed to improving this situation in order to meet customers'
    expectations.

For the latest information on availability please refer to the "Where to Buy" link on the website: http://www.sony-cp.com

However, you will appreciate that many dealers do not currently have the
    product in stock and in many cases are unable to provide a delivery
    schedule.
    Thank you for your continued understanding and patience".

NEC are supposed to have a drive that has the simular spec as the Sony, but I read that review back in October also.

The N.E.C. one is here: http://www.necd.de/productdetail.php?id=671

Also "LG HAS LET SLIP that it will be launching a new DVD writer at Cebit. The drive will support every major standard out there: DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM and CD-R/RW.
    The new GMA-4040B DVD writer is a 4 speed for DVD-R/RW. There is no indication yet as to how much the new drive will cost but it is likely to be competitive with Sony's offering, which has been on the market for a while.

Sony has owned the DVD+/-RW market up until now, raking in a high premium for its drives. With LG jumping in, others are sure to follow soon. Expect the market to be commoditized in about an hour".

4. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one on order from Stak trading
    http://online.stak.com/cgi-bin/stak/

When I placed the order they were on 2 weeks delivery, and I confirmed this verbally to ensure I wasn't in for a long wait. As of this coming Friday it will be 2 weeks since the order was placed.

I've just checked the web site again, and delivery has now been changed to "no confirmed date"!!

They say that there are cancellation charges for special order items....this should be interesting....will let you know what happens!

5. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

Apparently Sony have told Stak 7-10 days from a couple of days ago.

Hmmmm, I have a bad feeling about this.....if I'm in possession of the unit in 7-10 days I'll eat this keyboard! :D

6. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    make sure you dont swallow the p's lol

7. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    But the Ricoh only does DVD+ and not DVD-?

Completely different product?

9. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, it doesn't do -r/rw. But looking at the spec of -r/rw compared to +r/rw the +r/rw format is far supperior, so I can't see why I would want -r/rw.

If you read the article it says +r/rw is far better in every respect, and has certain extras which -r/rw cannot support.

IE: Mount Rainier (EasyWrite) drag-'n-drop support, lossless linking, DVD+VR format, defect-management, Addressing during recording, Background formatting, you only have to worry about one kind of recordable and one kind of rewritable discs.

Integrated support of Mt. Rainier and DVD+R Multi-Session-Recording
    The Ricoh MP5240A-DP has already been adapted to the Mt. Rainier DVD+MRW and CD-MRW standard. When the new operating systems with Mt. Rainier functions come onto the market, the MP5240A-DP will be able to write DVD+RW and CD-RW simply and efficiently, even without special burning software. In addition, the MP5240A-DP supports DVD+R Multi-Session-Recording. With the increase in multi-session DVD players, the MP5240A-DP provides even more advantages when writing to DVD+R. By taking into consideration these forward-thinking technologies, Ricoh offers the user the greatest possible long-term investment

10. slenderdeer

slenderdeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these in January, they are fantastic. Make sure you get the right dvd blanks as some are not comptable. I recommend the Datawrite Classic from SVP commuincations, however at present theya re out of stock of the dvd writer and them blanks.

The retail version I dont think you can get OEM yet, has all that you need. I dont recommend using nero though, Vertatis Record now does the same thing.

11. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    In my view it doesn't really matter which format wins - as long as the format you are using works for you.
    The telling point for me though is that Microsoft has announced it is supporting/backing the DVD+RW format. For me that would be the one to gamble on !

12. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

Was told delivery of the Sony was expected 20th (yesterday). As of today it has changed again to "no confirmed date"!!

If it arrives before Easter I'll be surprised......... :(

13. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Ricoh hasn't a release date and the NEC won't be out until May, so I ordered the Sony DRU500AX on Monday. It arrived this afternoon. Tried it out on Mean machine (Vinnie Jones) using Smartripper and DVD2ONE and Nero got a perfect copy (DD 5.1) on 1 disk at the first attempt using Princo 4x -r (£1-80p each). Well chuffed.
    Just about to update the Firmware to the latest version.

14. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi happynow
    where did you get it from?
    cheers

15. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I tried mailing you on Monday with the address as I didn't want to post it as they only had 3 when I mailed them. But you haven't enabled the option to receive mail. Anyway I don't know if they have any left but you can try at http://www.megabytes.co.uk/
    £279 including free delivery.
    Good Luck.

16. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Megabytes also have the Sony DW-U10A at £269 which they claim is a replacement for the DRU-500A!

This is now really confusing as they are selling two Sony drives that do DVD-R/RW+R/RW!

Pat

17. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    happynow
    Are you saying that you can record DD 5.1 with this new Sony?

18. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,945
    I think I read somewhere that it was being uprated to 4x DVD+R ( but don't quote me on that I may be wrong)

19. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, from what I can tell the DW-U10A on the Megabyte site is supposed to be a DRU110A which was an early model that could write -r/rw and +rw at 2.4x. The 500A came next which had a few problems from what I have read. This one is 4x -r 4x+r 2.4x+/rw-/rw. The latest version being the DRU500AX which is the one I just got. It came with firmware 2.0c. I just updated to firmware 2.0d. Yes it copies AC3 sound or 2 channel stereo depending on what software you are using and which you choose, I would think all pc based DVD writers will.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru11a-c1_dwn.htm
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500adwn.htm
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500axdwn.htm

20. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing which doesn't make sense is when I copied the same film at 2.4x to a +RW it took 18 mins, when copied to -R at 4x it took 35mins. I haven't any 4x+R at the moment so can't compare directly, but would expect the 4x+R to be around the 11 Min mark.

21. fungus-fingers

fungus-fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    happynow

So if I want to copy DVD movies what hardware and software (computer) do you recommend?

22. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    REDLESTER
    have you recived this sony yet?I have just ordered one and have been told 2 weeks.:suicide:

23. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fungas-fingers

Hi, you don't need a super fast pc to do it, but the higher spec the pc the easier and quicker it is.
    Software wise, it is all out there if you look for it. I have at this moment in time, in my program files folder 19,018 files in 1,422 folders. The more proggies you have the more you can do is my moto (many progs I only install as I want them). You need a fair bit of space to work with DVD's so 2 hardrives 40 gig or more (if like me you have several projects on the go at once), 512 mb ram or more, a DVD player and DVD/CD writer, 1 ghz cpu or higher, soundcard and graphics card are not that important (spec wise) for DVD writing, but get as good as you can afford if you want to play games. After changing graphics cards 4 times in 8 years I stopped playing games on pc 18 months ago, as it's constant upgrade to be able to play the very latest games at a decent frame rate and resolution. I only upgrade the CPU motherboard when I can double the speed that I am currently running at. Which incidently is 1.4 ghz o/c to 1525. So it's nearly time to upgrade again, when 3.0 ghz cpu's are around the £80 mark I will go higher but not until then.
    I made a copy of The Eagles when Hell freezes Over ( one of my favourite dvd's for chillin to) DVD today (as it is slowly getting more and more scratches on it through constant use), DTS 5.1 sound and it sounds and looks Identical to the origional. So the orig can be put aside and kept safe now.

24. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. I cancelled the order, and told them I would wait until they were listed as "available". As of today delivery is listed by Stak as 15 April, but I would be sceptical about that, they change their minds all the time.

As soon as I know they are available I will order one, so let me know how you get on. Did you order from Stak or someone else?

25. mr.nick

mr.nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have one DRU-500AX sitting at home never used if you're interested?!

I ordered a DRX-500UL from eBuyer three weeks ago and instead of the external version they delivered the internal version - useless to me since I only have a notebook. There's a thread on the DVD Forums about it and even though eBuyer have promised to exchange it for the correct one only one person so far has received theirs and I don't hold out much hope.

As I say it's never been used, everything is factory sealed with all manuals media and software.

Edit: here's the DVD Forums thread http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167776&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

26. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254