1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY DRC vs Philips Pixel Plus vs Tosh Prog Scan

Discussion in 'TVs' started by astonbilla, Oct 14, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all,

i have only ever had Sony TVs and of late i am becoming more and more disappointed with them. I know that DRC is highly thought of but how does it compare to philips and tosh sets?

I had my heart set on a 9607, but when i saw lord of the rings running on it in store i really wasn't that impressed, it seemed very grainy.

The tosh strata TVs are really cheap for wht you get, but i have yet to see one with RGB source material running on it.

Does anyone have experience of all these sets or maybe shed some light on this for me?

thanks folks

Bill

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi astonbilla i was watching lotr last night & the picture was great on my 32zd26.but like you said about grain on the philips. i also noticed that when i saw one in store.as you know i have had a few problems with the tosh.i`m getting my replacement 32" tonight & if it has any major faults i will be getting a different make.but i will be gutted as the picture is great on this tv if you can get a good one like oblivion lucky git :D i might ask if i can buy his:D

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Liverpool, have you ever seen LOTR on a DRC set?, its quite good too.

My biggest fear is that neither the Tosh or the Philips can touch the Sony.

I hope i'm wrong.

What will you go for if your replacement is dodgy?

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    astonbilla no i have never seen it on a sony last night was the first time i had seen the film man is it long good film though.anyway i will look at the jvc32l5ek or the loewe aconda 9381 as the jvc beat the tosh in to second place in home enterainment mag. plus i`ve been told the loewe is a good set.have you heard anything about the 2 sets above.

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    That JVC gets a lot of good things said about it, i think the only reason i didn't look any closer was branding. JVC used to be an AV giant years ago - yet now they seemed to have died off a bit. I'm quite fickle, i like goods from a huge renowned company or a reassuringly expensive company.

Regarding the Loewe, i have seen one in the flesh and it was stunning. It was a 9381, and with crappy rf feeds it was fantastic. They are meant to have a small, tiny problem with NTSC DVDs in that a moire effect can be seen. HOWEVER, Mr Groundy Sir has a solution and from what i hear it sorts out everything just dandy.

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    astonbilla that is good to hear.i have had a jvc 28" 4.3 for 5 years & not had any problems at all so i have no fears in getting jvc. now the loewe is the 1 i`more intrested in buy that costs £1499.99 for the 32" but that is a small price to pay if the tv is as good as you say.

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    one bad point about the loewe though....

....you'll have to buy a stand!

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i know i`ve got custom made units on both sides of my tosh.so i will get one made for the tv as the stand is pricey for the loewe.sorry for going of your original topic mate.

9. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    no worries mate, you're the only one who replied anyway

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can tell you is that, once correctly set-up, the Toshiba 36ZD26P when running prog scan via component inputs delivers a truly jaw-dropping image. I have never seen clarity, depth and detail like it from a CRT display. It does appear that the Tosh needs a fair bit fo tweaking before really coming alive though.

I would imagine the 32" version is even better in terms of actual picture quality.