1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRC-1250 or Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'TVs' started by wanchaiman, Feb 5, 2003.

1. wanchaiman

wanchaiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can select between interlaced or progressive output on my sony dvd player.

Which is better technically:-

1) DVD with interlaced output into sony tv with DRC 1250 (ie a line doubler)

or

2) DVD with progressive output into sony tv with progressive scan input but no drc 1250 / line doubler (this is disabled with progressive input).

I have tried both and can't "see" any difference....:)

Comments please

2. raZorfish

raZorfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is actually a very good question...

If you where to compare 625i to 625p, the latter is definitley the superiour signal with twice the bandwidth of the first.

However, since a 1250i signal has the same bandwidth as a 625p, the difference in quality between the two will likely not be that significant.

Still, if playback of DVDs is the case, then a 625p signal will be best suited since most DVDs contain progressive material to start with.

If watching a broadcasted program or interlaced video (e.g. from a camcorder) on the other hand, the 1250i mode is to be preferred.

I'm not sure though that you are actually comparing 1250i vs. 625p, because that will imply that your Sony DVD player has PAL progressive out (which has just appeared in the market) and that your Sony TV has PAL progressive input via a component interface (which I'm pretty sure is not available on any Sony CRT-based TV in the European market so far). :confused:

Please be aware that S-video and SCART-RGB do not have the necessary bandwidth to transfer a PAL progressive signal (625p).