Sony Digital Rights

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by braehead, Sep 18, 2005.

1. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just upgraded my pc and transferred over all my files etc. When I went into Sonic Stage and tried to access my music it was there but wouldn't let me use it as it said the digital rights reside with my old pc. Same thing happened when I plugged in the HD5, the music is there but not the rights. Anyone know of a work around for this? :lease:

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um ... did you use the SS backup tool to move your files to the new PC? If not, you may have a lot of re-ripping ahead of you! Sorry!

3. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know. It was a friend who built the new pc for me and did the file transfers before wiping my old pc ready for donation to a good cause - the ex wife!! I'll check with him but think I'm on the worst case scenario here!!

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely sounds like it, old chap! Bummer!!

5. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This probably won't help you but you can remove the drm from atrac3 files with SonicStage 3.2. The problem is that the files have to be playable in SonicStage 3.2 to remove the DRM.

To Remove DRM: (This does not transcode the files! It simply removes the DRM from the file.)
    In SonicStage 3.2 right click on the files you want to remove the DRM and choose "convert format". Then choose the same bitrate as your file and make sure the "add copy protection" box is unchecked. The resulting file will be where all your other files are stored under a folder called "Optimized Files".

To remove the DRM file from the computer is a little tricky. Here is what I did:
    Highlight all songs you want to get rid of. Right click and select delete, uncheck "delete from computer" (If you don't this will delete the optimized files as well unless you put them in a different directory). Then to re-import the optimized files select "file" "import" "Music File" and select all files in the optimized folder. It will automatically arrange by Artist on Album in SonicStage. You can then delete the DRM'd files from your computer.

With these new files you can put them on any computer without using the Backup tool and transfer and burn them as many times as you want!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ryzir, if what you say here is true - and I've no cause to doubt you - then you're a bloody genius! But one question: I'm guessing that by altering any file with DRM and creating a DRM-free copy, you'll have lost the gaplessness if that file merges with the next track. Could you please run a test to see if I'm right or wrong about this? In my experience, any modification made to existing ATRACs (DRM'd or otherwise) causes gapless playback to be lost.

7. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does playback gaplessly! I listen to a lot of live Phish shows so this is very important to me also. As far as I can tell there is really no alteration to the file except where ever the DRM is stored which is probably outside the music portion of the file anyway.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You star! Won't be doing it myself just know, but it's great to know! :clap:

9. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I just tested Ryzir's method and I'm glad to report it worked perfectly for me as well, retaining gaplessness and all. It was reasonably fast, so it seems the conversion just strips the copy protection (it would certainly take longer to decode and reencode). Good for those who worry about degrading sound. The only issue is that to eliminate the DRM in all library you would have to do a batch conversion, and since the optimized files folder doesn't create subfolders, you end up having lots of individual files in the same place. Obviously, it makes an organized backup more difficult.

10. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys.

Been on the forums for a while now, but never posted in this one.
    A comment to the above quote, once you have all your files stripped of DRM info and they are in the "Optimised" folder.
    You can simply create new folders for them back in the normal "Imported" folder structure, move them there,and simply re-import them by rescanning the newly created folders, (After deleting them from the library first of course).

Pete

11. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you can highlight the songs in SonicStage and choose "move file" and put the files where you want them.

12. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha, that's a good option. :thumbsup: Still some work, but better than mining through a sea of files in Windows Explorer.

13. joebloggs44

joebloggs44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried Ryzirs suggestion too in Sonic Stage 3.2 but it won't let me convert format it just says playback is not allowed!? :rolleyes:

14. ianll

ianll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I have successfully 'uncopyrighted' my Sonicstage libary using Rayzir's very clever process - many thanks:

One observation and one question:

I ended up with a reasonably large number of files in my 'Optimized' folder (2,600) and Sonicstage wouldnt let me import all of these files in one hit. Not a big deal, I just loaded in 4 'goes', just wanted to make people aware of this.

Now my question - having re-imported all the 'Optimized' files I see that 'various artist' compliation albums now have a seperate (identically named) libary entry for each track/artist. Is there a quick and easy way to put all tracks back into one libary folder?

Thanks!

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to go into the properties of tracks to tick the compliation box. Use the All Tracks view and do it by album - it's faster than any other method I've tried.

16. Axemeister

Axemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem as earlier posters. My computer fell over while installing SP2 (won't try that again in a hurry!). In the end I had to install a second copy of Windows XP on my PC.
    After a bit of fiddling around I managed to download and install SS 3.2, and in the set up process it located my existing music library (all previous ripped CDs), and imported it.
    What I want to do is backup the entire collection, and then do a complete format and reinstall on my PC.
    However if I try to play the tracks, it tells me that they are copy protected (or an unrecognisable format) and asks if I want to connect to the internet to obtain a licence!
    I tried the convert process taking out the copy protection, but it won't work as the tracks are already protected.
    Am I right that as the tracks won't play in SS 3.2 there's nothing I can do now to remove the copy protection? Presumably backing them up and subsequently reinstalling them will make no difference. Am I sentenced to re ripping my entire CD collection?
    What will happen when I reconnect my upgraded NW-HD1? Will I have to reformat that as well to get my refurbished PC to recognise it - or can I leave the music on it that is already there. Hope for some ideas - thanks.

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tricky one there, mate. All I can tell you is that I ripped a large number of files with SS 3.1 - so with DRM on - then removed DRM using ver 3.2. So I wouldn't lose all hope of removing copy protection just yet.

18. Axemeister

Axemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the problem is that you need to be able to play the file in SS 3.2, as otherwise I can't see any way of removing the protection. I presume they won't play as they were imported into SS, and SS probably thinks they've come from another PC, because I had to re install XP.

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I'm guessing you didn't back-up your tracks before attempting the XP SP2 install, right? Bummer! You could be screwed in that case :(

20. Axemeister

Axemeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct - but I must confess I didn't expect it to crash so spectacularly that it wouldn't even boot afterwards. Still, won't make that mistake again!
    However, after I do a fresh install of XP, perhaps I may be able to upload the music files from the NW-HD1 assuming I can get it all to authorise OK. Just a thought.