1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony digital rights - moving music between comps

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by david16e, Sep 19, 2005.

1. david16e

david16e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all, I'm been kind of a lurker ever since I entered the dap market, but I finally have a need to post.

Ok, so I've settled on the HD5 mainly on size but mostly on battery life, but I still have one reservation. I have a desktop at school now on which is all my music, but I'll be getting a laptop in about two months to replace it. From my understanding of sony's DRM policies, sonic stage leaves a drm 'imprint' on all files that it uses. One of the effects of this is that I would be unable to transfer music to the laptop and still have it be compatible with the HD5. Is this right?? If true, I really hope that there is a way around this that someone could direct me to. Otherwise, I hate to say it, I think this could be a deal-breaker, since I won't have my music at school to 're-burn' onto the laptop, and not that I would be willing to anyway. thanks...

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sweat dude. Install SonicStage 3.2 as soon as you get your player (on both your school and home PC eventually), and switch off the DRM, which you can now do. Hey presto, hassle-free file moving! Be sure to do this before you rip anything with, or import anything into, SS!

3. david16e

david16e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent thank alot

4. aitchjv

aitchjv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be crap but how do you switch off the DRM?

I think i have this problem using my HD3 and work and home!

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't answer that right now, sorry! Don't have SS where I am!

6. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In "import a cd" view on the right side click "settings" and uncheck "add copy protection"

If you want to remove DRM from files already encoded in atrac3 look at this thread:
    Sony Digital Rights