Sony Digital Cinema Sound EX. (DCS)

Xavier_32

Standard Member
Hi, I'd like to start off by saying how incredibly useful this forum is. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in AV stuff, but nowhere near as much as some of the people on here. I've been searching the forums on here for information about everything from binaural/holophonic sound recordings, to nitty gritty specs on TVs and headphones. That being said, I finally have a question that I couldn't find an answer for on here, so I created an account and this is my first post. This was the sub forum that seemed most plausable to get an answer.

I have a Sony 5.1 reciever, that I love the hell out of. I have pretty decent speakers, they're all set up properly, the reciever is calibrated for speaker distance and placement, I use it frequently and love it. The thing is, I've always been a stickler for getting the closest sound possible to the actual audio track, so I've always left the reciever on the AFD setting and enjoyed the sound.

Now, recently I started snooping around online about the digital cinema sound ex options, and I've read mixed things about them. I realize what they're supposed to recreate (A being the Cary Grant sound stage for dialogue, B being the Kim Novak sound stage for action movies, C being the Entertainment scoring stage for music,) But I can't seem to find a difinitive answer as to what it is exactly that they do. Having tried all three of them on their respective type of movies, to me they only seem to add a little reverb in a cheap attempt to create the illlusion of depth, and perhaps they transfer a little of the SR and SL channels into eachother to create a false center rear speaker.

TL;DR = What exactly do Digital Cinema Sound EX modes do, and should I be using them or sticking to AFD?

Thanks for reading. :D

FunkyMonkey

These sound modes refer to the (demo) movie theatres at the studios (in Hollywood). Each different sound mode is supposed to mimic each theatre. Basically, it's a gimmick.

Xavier_32

Standard Member
That's basically what I've though all this time, but I've read conflicting statements from audiophiles saying that these spatial effects make the rear sound more full.

I still think it just sounds like badly implemented reverb. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom