Sony digicam - downloading files - HELP please!

nickyvicar

Hi
I have acquired a Sony DCR PC 103E digital camcorder. I am having problems downloading movies from the camera to my PC. I have researched the internet and found the Sony Image mixer software but this doesn’t seem to work very easily. I end up with files with no sound that I don’t appear to be able to move or edit from the image mixer software. I am using the USB connection to move the files.
Is there a more basic, user friendly piece of generic software I could use to move the files?

I have filled up the tape I have with my daughters school play - she is having flight in a light aeroplane tomorrow at 09.00 - I need to move smartish!
Many thanks
Nick

bsuttie

USB's not really what you want with a DV camcorder. The camera has a firewire (iLink) connection which is what you would generally use to copy the DV tape to your computer. If you don't have a firewire port you can generally add one pretty easily.

What sort of spec of computer do you have and what OS are you running?

regards

Brian

nickyvicar

I think my graphics card has a digital out. I agree, long term, I should go down this road.
However, as in my original post, time is of the essence - I need to free up space on the camera for tomorrow!
Also, my problem at the moment is with the software more than the speed of downloading.
Thanks,
Nick

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Not talking about speed of downloading (the speed is only real time, i.e. the time it takes to play the tape). Firewire is the only way to copy DV at full quality to a PC from the camcorder.

Why not just buy another tape?

nickyvicar

But seriously folks.....

I obviously need to learn a lot more about digital movies!

Anyone have any links to relevant sites?

Assuming I get a DVI cable (is this the same as firewire?), is there any generic easy to use (free) editing software?

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
No, DVI and Firewire are not the same.

What PC operating system do you have? Windows has Movie Maker, Mac has iMovie, both come free with the OS.

There is a lot of information out there; one source to learn is the "Edit to the Maxx" series on Camcorderinfo

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Columns&level_b=Edit to the Maxx.htm#

Unfortunatly the Avid "Free DV" it uses is no longer available, but the concepts will be similar with any editor.

Depending on your OS/software you can find specific help guides.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom