Sony Digibox Problem. Help!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Matt123, May 26, 2005.

1. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I have a Sony Digibox. Not Sky+ just normal Sky. I've had it for about 3 years but tonight it has died :( It seems there is no power to it at all. The red light isn't on. It's dead! I've tried the usual stuff - changing the fuse, trying a different socket, but to no avail.

I have Sky protection plan so it's not going to cost to have it fixed or have a new one, that's not the problem, the problem is that everything AV in my house is Sony - the TV, the DVD, the Home Cinema, and the Digibox, so my question is, does anyone have any idea what the fault maybe? Or if it is fixable? If not do Sony still make digiboxes for Sky? and can I demand one?

I'm now without Sky until Saturday at least, when the engineer comes :mad:

2. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

The fact that you have no power at all, almost certainly means that the internal power unit in the digibox has failed.

This usually happens when certain components (capacitors for example) dry up over a period up time, this is accelerated by heat buildup within the digibox.

Special Repair kits are available for just this problem see www.satcure.co.uk.

However unless you are a dab hand with a soldering iron, and have a basic electronics knowledge then you would not be able to fit the kit yourself.
    If you know someone who could help you however this may be the answer.

I very much doubt you would get another Sony digibox unless of course Sky send you a refurb unit (which is exactly what they would do with yours by the way)

I think the standard digibox these days is the new Pace unit. I bought one for my father the other week because his ancient Amstrad DRX100 finally gaveup.

Hope this helps

Pete

3. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Pete. It would nice to keep Sony to match everything else, but I guess, as long as it's silver (to match everything else again) then it will be ok. I have just looked at the Pace unit online and it looks and seems a decent bit of kit and superior to my now old Sony.

Sounds a bit snobish to say I want this make, or this colour, but you know what I mean. It matches :)

4. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think your right to want a particular name of box. You are money buying the box rather than renting it so Sky should give people the option of what kit they get. If more people chose PACE cos they are better then the other suppliers would have to get there act together and compete, think this is called fair competition. This is the only way the other suppliers of STB's to Sky will ever get the same quality as Pace is reported to have.

Steve

5. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got neither a Sony or a Pace. I now have an ugly grey Panasonic :mad: :suicide:

6. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Matt

Not bad boxes the Panasonics. I have been using one for about 3 Years now, after my Amstrad DRX100 failed.

Thing is though, you do have a re-conditioned one, Panasonic stopped making digiboxes about a year ago I believe. I tried initially to get my father one, but ended up buying the PACE 430N

Pete

7. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete.

My parents and my sister both have Pany boxes too. One thing I've noticed is that it doesnt seem to be so fast (responsive) as the Sony. It'll grow on me I guess. It does the job and that's the main thing.

Yes, I'm sure it is a recon. Good eh? When you pay for new in theory

8. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One week after recieveing the Panasonic and it's buggered :mad: :mad:

It keeps coming up that the viewing card isn't inserted properly. When you wiggle the card it works again but only for an hour or so til it works looses again.

I'm calling Sky out again and I've told them I want a new box. Hopefully it will be a decent one this time :lease:

9. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, one week after ecieving the Panasonic and it's buggered :mad: :mad:

It keeps coming up that the viewing card isn't inserted properly. When you touch the card it works again but only for a bit before the same message comes up.

I'm getting Sky back out again and I've told them I want another new box. Hopefully this one will work :lease:

10. Matt123

Matt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, one week after recieving the Panasonic and it's buggered :mad: :mad:

It keeps coming up that the viewing card isn't inserted properly. When you touch the card it works again but only for a bit before the same message comes up.

I'm getting Sky back out again and I've told them I want another new box. Hopefully this one will work :lease: