1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Digibox - Optical audio enabled?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by randallp, Nov 29, 2001.

1. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a Sony VTX-S760U set top box installed - it has an optical audio out. The engineer told me its disabled but it has a red glow coming out of it.

Anyone using it?

If so, is it better than phonos for supplying my AV amp?

Pat

2. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the engineer was telling you porkies.I'd say if you see a red light then it works alright.

I have my sony box connected to my reciever using the optical link and it sounds a lot better...well worth it

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The default factory software for the Sony has the optical output disabled. The installer (a bit of an insult to engineers to call the installers engineers) was correct on that front.

However, the later software versions (which by the sounds of it you have already got, due to the light emitting), re-enabled it and it will work for the standard audio stream. You will not be able to select the DD5.1 audio stream.

Give these installers a little knowledge and they think they know everything. I guess my installer was right after all when he said ITV would be on sky soon. It just took 3 years longer than he suggested. :rolleyes:

4. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I'll go out and buy one - any recommended makes?
    Pat

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    optical is optical really. You don't need to spending much on an optical cable in the same way you would a traditional cable.

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I understand Sky have just begun 5.1 broadcast (see www.digitalspy.co.uk forums).
    Has anyone tried their Sony yet to see if it works?

Ian Guinan

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it has been tested and no it doesn't work.

it's not a hardware problem. It is a software one.

The DD5.1 audio stream is seperate to the standard one and you need to be able to select the audio stream you want to listen to. The Sky+ boxes allow you to do this but the Sony digiboxes do not.

8. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Where have you seen someone post that they have tried their box on the current 5.1 stream? I've only seen reports of tests from continental channels broadcasting on 5.1 and not Sky?

Ian Guinan

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky have been testing DD5.1 for over month on the test channels.

The tests have been against these.

As has been said already, there are two audio streams now. The sky+ boxes allow you to select the audio stream. The standard sony digibox does not allow you to select the audio stream so you only get the standard one.