Sony digibox and optical out...

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone with a Sony digibox use the digital optical out to hook up to an amp ? Is there any difference in sound quality over using the phono sockets to the amp ?

Thanks

I use an optical connection to my sony 1080 amp. I'm a bit lemming like, in that i havent tried an analog connection chosing to believe the digital one must be superior! But i am very happy with how it sounds, especially in PLII.

Mmmmm Ive got this was under the impression it didn`t work?

Mine works fine, you might be thinking of receiving Dolby Digital, that certainly doesnt work with the sony box, as it can only be received on sky+. My sony box will only output a pcm signal to the amp.

Originally posted by Walter mitty
Mmmmm Ive got this was under the impression it didn`t work?

I heard that Sony deactivated them in order to standardise all the sky digiboxes - and that you had to reconnect it if you wanted to use it :confused: I could be wrong though! :D :rolleyes:

Hello JonnyV, Steve_e42 and Walter mitty.
This is not relevant to your post, however - how about turning on subtitles for a couple of hours and check if you get lock up on ITV after a few sentences.
I have this problem with my Sony 750 and also with the replacement from Sony. I've had no reply yet to my post elsewhere.
PS I'll try the optical connection to STR-DB930 and let you know.

Got mine linked up to a Denon 2802. Sounds fab, much better than regular phono :D

Hey guys
Well, I tried the optical connection
1 It works
2 I think I discern a slight improvement in clarity
3 Indication on Amp is PCM (48KHz)
4 Remember - I'm the one who needs subtitles!
5 I'll check again with someone elses ears.
regards to all

When you say optical sounds better, what type of analogue / digital interconnects were you using as this will make a difference to the comparison ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom