Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sony digi-box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by teddstarr, Feb 4, 2002.

1. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone!!!
    I have just purchased a sony digi-box(vtx-s760u) and after speaking to many people regarding the possibility of the digi-box decoding dds5.1 i am still unclear.

some said it could,if sky enabled the digital output port,whilst others said it could not.
    if it is only a software problem there must be a techno out there that could address this problem(it would be asking to much for sony and sky to resolve this)
    I suppose the other alternative would be to get a sky+ box without subscription,is this possible,or are ther any other dds5.1 alternatives.

cheers,
    teddstarr.

2. Tricky

Tricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much did you pay?

3. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    teddstar..........this should explain it and clear up any matters that are unclear.........sony digibox and 5.1

5. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( cheers Bob

seems that sky have got me by the balls!!!!!!

Sony say it was built to skys spec and sky say they wont download the new software.

could it be that sky are illegally with-holding a service from the paying customer???????

teddstarr

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not being rude here but why on earth did you buy the box first before finding out it didn't do what you wanted?

It's been known for 2 months now that it didnt do DD5.1. Also, since then the price for Sony boxes has been dropping as many are now selling them because they cant do 5.1. £150 seems to be the popular price at the moment.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Sony box because it is IMHO the best looking and one of the best performers. I'm not going to pay for sky+ because sky are a bunch of cynical good for nothings who don't give the customer what they want. I'm sure it would be possible to get the Sony box running with 5.1 but this would spoil their masterplan wouldn't it? At the moment they are ripping people off with sky+ and if you could get 5.1 from a basic digibox they would lose half their market. Anyone who thinks they will ever get 5.1 from a non sky+ box is dreaming. Let the early adopters pay is what I say, we'll get it cheap when it's mainstream. Just a shame they couldn't supply a class leading product to most people at a reasonable price.

All this is the opinion of me and not the author (who is in a mental institution).

S

8. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for all your answers

In reactoin to Doubledoom,i bought the digi-box after speaking to the dealer and reading several mag reviews.In all cases it was never a definate whether it coulc/couldn't decode dd5.1.it seems you have your finger on the pulse more than me!!!

I am now debating whether to retun the box or not(but it does look the part and performs well)and as Paiger ponts out although at some point in the future this box may be enabled for DD5.1it seems SKY are holding all the aces.why should we be deprived of a service that appears to alredy be in place?????

cheers
    Teddstarr

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the dealer did sell it to you after saying it did DD5.1, then you could return it does not do what you were told it would.

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I will say is that today I recieved my new optical cable and hooked it up to my Sony box and was trully impressed with the improvement in sound quality. I had it hooked up with QED phonos before but the optical is much more punchy and has great clarity. I don't know why this should be but there you go. I would recommend the box for this alone.

S

11. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Teddstarr, I have to go along the "return it, pay an extra £100, and get a Sky+ box" route. The Sony is on par with the current Panasonic and both seem slightly better than the Sky+ box but you get guaranteed 5.1 from the Sky+ box. I know it seems strange to buy a Sky+ box and NOT use the Sky+ features but "thems the breaks".

12. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Teddstar,
    You should also be aware that at the moment there only a TINY amount of material transmitted by Sky in Dolby Digital, so make sure you look and see which movies are shown in DD (by Sky) before you make any decisions about getting a Sky+ box just for that.
    If you look at those films and amortize the extra money over them, my guess is that you could go out and buy them on DVD for the same money over a year!! (before I get loads of flames, I realize this won't be true for everyone!).

Of course the argument may be that Sky will expand their offering of DD transmission enormously over the next few months, but when you look at the widescreen situation who would bet on that?!

Simon

13. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC have confirmed they intend to use DD5.1 in the near future for selected programming. Rumours are that the Ch4 group of channels will follow suit although i have not seen anything to confirm that.

I'm waiting at the moment until it is used more. Maybe there will be improvements to the sky+ box/package in that time too.

14. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No flames, valid point! It's just nice to "watch" films in 5.1 that I may normally not risk shelling out for rental or purchase of.

You could also take the view that you pay £300 for Sky+, sell the new Quad LNB on e-bay and also have a nice new 40gig drive for your PC!

15. Jeg72

Jeg72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

What is the picture like on your Sony 760?

Mine is poor - there's no grain or anything it just looks noticeably inferior to analogue, washed out colour and most importantly poor definition. All this despite using decent SCART connections.

I've seen Sky at other peoples houses and it doesnt look as cack as mine - even on cheapo digiboxes ??!

Can you tell me how your box compares with analogue?

Cheers

16. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've seen other people complaining about the picture quality of their Sony 760/750 digibox on other threads, but I have to say my 760 is fine. I can also report that it's at least as good as the one that it replaced, one of the older Grundig boxes.
    Definition and colour are good, with none of the washed out look that you have. IMHO it's still not quite as good as a really top quality analogue signal, but on my set up it's very close (if anything that's because the analogue looks more natural to me, ie slightly LESS edge definition and contrast than digital).
    I think the other threads suggested that there may be technical reasons some of the Sony boxes don't look as good....
    I've just bought a new Sony SLVX9 VCR to replace my old Sony VCR and the pictures not as good as the old one and exhibits similar characteristics to those you describe - washed out lacking definition etc -- is this another example of Sony's tumbling quality control??
    P.S. I've also had loads of problems with the Sony DVD player I've just bought and the (sympathetic and knowledgable) Dealer involved said they have a huge number of problems with Sony these days and he wouldn't personally buy that brand any more (recommends Toshiba for pure reliability, but that's not too helpful for digiboxes!)
    I guess you need to get a very experienced dealer or repair guy to check out your digibox, or return it for another one if you can (I know some people bought them on Ebay which would make that difficult)

Simon

17. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with simon,the picture on my 760 is as good as i have seen.Also the sound,when connected using the digital output is an improvment on the phono sound.
    As a whole i cant complain about any of the Sony AV equipment i have,and as a package it looks and sounds great.

Its just a shame Sky keep ****in it up!!!!!!!

18. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, quite happy with my Sony. to be honest it's my first experience with Sky so I'm not familiar with watching it but I would certainly say it rivals my analogue picture. Maybe you have a dodgy one or there is something wrong in the settings. Most of my gear is Sony now, mainly because I got a deal on the excellent 940 amp and the 735 DVD was nice and slim and performs well with CD's. I will be looking to upgrade to some Tag stuff in a year or so but I'm well happy with it as it is.

S

19. Jeg72

Jeg72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I am more bewildered than ever ,having tried every setting and different SCART leads. Even my SVHS video is giving a better picture

I am due to see the Sky engineer tomorrow, so I hope he can sort it - ie give me a new box, or maybe he can tweak something under the lid....

20. Jimbob

Jimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I just got Sky Digital installed today by our local ariel installers.

I requested the Sony 760 and I must say the quality is superb. Defo no problems here...

Jimbob

21. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I still can't decide between the Sony (optical digital 2.0 output) or the Panasonic (faster operation - apparently).

Gotta decide by Monday

Luckily my local dealer only does Sony or Panasonic :D

Decisions decisions!

22. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optical out swung it for me as well as the slimline design of the Sony. I guess you'll be happy with either. I guess in the back of my mind there was the thought that Sony may suddenly come up with a fix for the 5.1 problem and we'll be laughing our collective arses off. OK, I'm dreaming on that one but it's a nice thought.

S

23. NigelHoughton

NigelHoughton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there folks

Anybody here bought one recently (off-contract)? Any good deals to be had? Anybody got one for £150?

Thanks,

Nigel.

24. Nick_C

Nick_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeg72: Have you set the output to RGB and is the Scart socket you are using RGB? When I set RGB off then the picture's shocking, but crisp and smooth in RGB.

25. Nick_C

Nick_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeg72: Have you set the output to RGB and is the Scart socket you are using RGB? When I set RGB off then the picture's shocking, but crisp and smooth in RGB.:confused: