Sony Delivery Woes

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by leehaynes, Feb 8, 2009.

1. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thought i'd share my dilemma with you to see if anyone is having the same problem and / or recommend an alternative solution :)

I placed an order for a Sony KDL32V4000U with Bennetts Online back on 30th December 2008. I got it for a bargain price of £296.10 delivered which i was chuffed with.

Now, i still haven't taken delivery of it :mad:

I've been contacting them on a weekly basis to keep a check on whats going on and basically the cause of the problem is that they took too many orders for the stock that was available to them.

They are willing to uphold their sale and get everyone's TV's out to them in time but at a rate that is dictated by Sony.

I'm led to believe that this particular model is now discontinued so trying to source stock is slow process.

Week after week i have been told that Sony have given them such and such a date for delivery and they will be passed on to the people on the waiting list as soon as they (Bennetts) recieve them.

But time after time Sony don't deliver enough.

I have been told that i can have a no quibble refund which is fair enough but i'm not going to get a TV of a similar standard for £300, am i?

So, has anyone else having/had problems with Bennetts or Sony? or can anyone reccommend a replacement that is up to the standard of the Sony KDL32V4000U for under £350?

I really feel like just getting a refund and telling them to stuff it but on the other hand i want the best TV for my money and i've waited this long so surely another few weeks won't hurt :confused:

thanks in advance

a very confused, Lee :confused::)

2. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    You need to think actively on this one. Sony have increased their prices on the V4000 since the New Year and I wouldn't be half-surprised if Bennetts turn around in the end and say they can't fulfill your order and give you a refund to avoid selling to you at a loss. Nice bit of interest they would have earnt on your money in the meantime too. This model is pretty much dead with its replacement due next month, I wouldn't wait, get your refund.

3. loulou78

loulou78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having same problem with Bennetts also. With Panasonic 32lxd80. They gave me same excuse. not enough of them made but that they going to uphold all orders. I would advise you to wait, you'll not get a cheaper tv than that now the sales have finished. Also i think they want you to cancel as they've sold too many at the low price there probably making a loss. Alsino you keep advising people to cancel how come you know so much about this?

4. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    We are a Sony/Panasonic dealer and know a bit more about how the game works from the 'other side'. What worries me is that from reading these forums it would seem common practice these days to get people's money, stock or no stock and then worry about the practicalities of actually getting stock later. Remember that until the tv is despatched (normally) you do not have a legally binding contract with the retailer so they can at any point turn round and say 'sorry, we can't supply at that price, pay the extra or have your money back'. In the meantime, similar deals are lost elsewhere while they have your money and are making interest on it. Both Sony and Panasonic have increased their prices since the New Year, I would be surprised if many people actually receive their promised 'bargains' as this would mean the retailer making a loss on every one of those sales.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    As they are my local dealer,their warehouse is just up the road, I have to say a word for Bennetts. I have bought several items from them over the years including 2 Sony LCD tvs. Like many other retailers they are at the mercy of manufacturers.

There was a time when manufacturers like Sony would swamp the market place with 'product',this no longer happens. At the end of the production run there would be loads of sets which retailers could only sell off at low prices,and a low profit margin, as the newer models hit the market place. Now production runs are produced to order so there are inevitable delays. When I ordered a Sony set from Bennetts a few years ago they agreed to drop the price I paid because in the meantime a rival supplier was offering the product cheaper during the time I was waiting for delivery. You can't get much fairer than that.

You also have to bear in mind that a number of models are being discontinued as Sony switch to the 2009 ranges, as leehaynes has already noted. Trying to track down stuff from other suppliers who may have a stockpile is less easy than it used to be. Aside from their shops and the on-line business Bennetts are a major supplier to the independant dealer trade.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies so far, some interesing views :)

I'm toying with the idea of getting the LG 32PG6000 which is spoken well of on these forums. I can get it for £379 and while its a little more than i have paid for the sony i might get a couple more monts use out of it if i had it this week instead of waiting for Bennetts.

Bennetts have this TV on their site too but for quite a bit more. I was thinking of phoning Bennetts for my refund and then give them the option to pricematch the £379 on the LG to keep me as a customer (as long as it was definately in stock and they could promise me delivery this week). I would then also ask for my first order discount too (10%) which i had when ordering the sony.

Not sure whether they'd go for it though. Worth a try i suppose.

7. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    You could ask the question. They're likely to go for it if there's profit in it for them and it gets a deal done rather than being in the current limbo.

8. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    alsina, you mentioned you're a sony dealer. There's nothing you can do regarding a deal on the sony is there? ;) (worth a shot)

9. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I appreciate your input guys but my thread was about my issue with Bennetts and advice on a possible replacement model etc.

This has turned into a legal squabble fest. :(

10. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    its interesting information, good to know, and, if it came to it, relevant to my situation. Maybe it deserves its own thread as its clearly quite a complex discussion.

No offence intended :)

11. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    To do this on the open forums would be against the forum rules...soliciting business etc.

alsina and Lunar Wolf, stop taking this thread off topic, if you want to discuss the mertits of the Sale of Goods act then do so via PM, MSN...etc.

Curly

12. loulou78

loulou78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my panasonic 32lxd80 yesterday. I would advise you to hang on we waited nearly 6 weeks but it was worth it for the price we paid.

13. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks loulou, thats good to hear. I'm going to give them til next Friday.

14. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    You might suggest to them that you are thinking of switching your custom to Hughes. They are their biggest local rivals. Check to make sure that Hughes have what you want in stock first. They have a big warehouse in Thetford, Norfolk. I bought something from them today and they told me what their current stock level was!

Hughes Direct | Home

15. leehaynes

leehaynes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well well, i had an email monday afternoon saying that my order was complete.

I expected delivery yesterday but nothing turned up.

Then today it finally arrived by Business Post.

Happy with the TV but i'd be very wary about using Bennetts again.

My advice would be not to rely on the stock levels on their website. ALWAYS phone and check the stock first before placing the order.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009