1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCS T1???

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by netflix, Apr 4, 2005.

1. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any views upon the Sony DCS T1 camera? I am after a simple point and shoot digi cam, nothing too clever, but with size and simple features a bonus. I have found it for £212 all in and think it might be a good deal. Any other options i should think about before I go for this one?

I have looked at a few reviews and they pretty much all say that the flash is pretty pants, but I think i can live with that.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The flash being pretty pants (if that is the case) is not something you will be able to live with after a while trust me.

What about the W1?

3. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the W1???

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Or the W5 now that the W1 has been discontinued (you might be able to get the W1 cheap on Ebay though). The W5 is another Sony 5MP digicam point and shoot with a few advance features. It's compact at 91 x 60 x 37.1 mm (W x H x D). It can be had for £218 from:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86319/art/sony/cyber-shot-sony-cyber-sho.html?srcid=36

I don't know how good the flash is though, although I'll be getting one by the end of this week so I'll find out soon how good (or not) it is.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I was looking at the sony or the pentax sv. Any help on these cameras would be helpfull.

The reason why I like the pentax sv is the 30fps video, 5 million pix and 5 x zoom.

I liked the sony for the size, but if the flash is poor I will discount as an option.

I can also buy a underwater housing for the pentax.

Is it a good camera?

Cheers :)

6. kiebler

kiebler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to razor. the pentax is fantastic. i work with dig cams and its one of the best we have. the T1 is ok but you will realise in summer like our customers did that you cant actually see the screen in bright sunlight. thats why the t3 and t33 have been brought out with sunshine lcds so it can react to light conditions

7. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi cj harrill,
    You can get the Sony W12 which is a special edition of the W1 from www.digistor.co.uk for £189.99.
    Seems a good deal.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Thanks for the reply and info. My previous camera was a pentax optio 3 megpixels 3x zoom. It was great, easy to use, small etc. Unfortunately half way through my hols I got water in it and messed it up.

So here I am desperate for a camera.

Is the video mode smooth/jerky and is there lots of pixeliastion? My previous camera had both jerky and pixelated video, but this was only at 15fps and not 30 fps which the Pentax optio sv has.

Also how does the T3 and T33 compair to the pentax optio sv?

Cheers :)

9. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Looks like a very good deal. What can you tells us about digistor? They seem to be new.

10. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi FruitBat,
    I haven't used digistor myself but someone in another thread has bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ3 from them for £199.99 and he seemed happy with his purchase and the service.
    The thread is FZ3 for £199.99 quick before they are all sold out.
    This originally referred to photo-optix but later I mentioned having seen the same camera on the digistor site at the same price.

11. kiebler

kiebler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    t3 n t33 are practically the same spec wise. large screen but no viewfinder. sv like any product brought in the last 8mnths have got rid of jerky movie n there is very little pixellation but its going to be enevitable at full digital zoom. if you stick to the optical youll be fine. have you actually had a play with both? go to your local jessops coz were always happy to help n give advice. we even do some internet price matching tho we cant always guarantee n exact match. goodluck

12. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a T1 and find it OK for simple point at shoots that arent a great distance.
    The flash is fairly pants I have to admit and it's difficult to not get red eye. For nightime shots outdoors etc they are almost useless and for concerts they arent the best either.
    Guess they're a trade off against size and quality. Pictures that are in daytime are usually stunning so is the bettery life.
    Guess the main problem for this and other pockets cams like it is the lens is so small not enough light can get in.
    If I have the choise again I would more then likely got for one of the V or W models as they have larger lenses so let in more light and more powerful flashes. They aren't that much bigger either.
    Video's on the T1 are great but for some reason doesn't let you use zoom while filming. This has more then likely been rectified in the T3/33 versions.
    There is also a T7 model thats just being released thats even slimmer by all accounts.
    The other problem I've noticed with this and other small cameras is they are more prone to camera shake on the pictures.
    It all depends on what you're going to be using the camera for at the end of the day.
    Not that I dont think the T series are a good camera, they are, just they like all small cam's are a compromise. Something you may grow tiered of.

13. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have the T33 which is basically the same as the T1 but with an 'improved LCD' for viewing in bright lighting conditions and an automatic shutter.

Whilst I wouldnt claim to be any kind of expert on digital camera's I am very impressed with it and it is so slim it really does fit comfortably in a pocket. I'm still getting used to it but the photos I have take so far are great. The only thing that is a little poor is the only 3x zoom which whilst useful I have already found that I would prefer something more for anything other than quick snaps.

14. heelsie

heelsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a T1 last June as my first entry into digital photography. I was initially sold on the compactness and `funkiness` of the design.However when it came to using it in anger I found it almost useless in anything but near brilliant lighting conditions. The flash is useless and after playing with all the settings and reading the manual many times I could not get anywhere near were I wanted to be with a £350.00 camera.On a bright sunny day day,outdoor shots are almost excellent but how often do we have a bright sunny day in England. I recently sold my T1 and opted for the V3 which although much larger is an excellent product.My photos be it indoors or out are fantastic. A very expensive lesson learnt but I am finally happy with my shots.

15. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I thought I'd bump this up rather than starting a new thread.
    I was going to get the W12 from Digistor, but they only deliver to cardholders address which is a bit of a problem at the moment. I just noticed today that amazon have them at 200 quid (was 230) and they can deliver to my work. So I've gone ahead and ordered.

3 months dithering draws to a close...