1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DCRHC19E - USB help needed please!!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by TonyH43, Jun 19, 2005.

1. TonyH43

TonyH43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have recently purchased a Sony DCR HC19E camcorder and am currently using USB2 to capture to my hard drive. Everything is fine apart from every 10 minutes (exactly) I get a message from the video capture software (Sony Picture Package) that the time limit has been reached, and prompts me to continue. At this point the playback has automatically been paused. If I hit continue - the same thing happens every 10 monutes, meaning that my film is in several pieces on my hard drive :lease:

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Tony

2. neilgoding

neilgoding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Software you are using a trial demo as Iv'e seen other types of software limit your recording?

3. becca 250503

becca 250503

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just got a Sony DCR-HC19E.

I would like to somehow copy all the stuff from the tape to my PowerBook G4 laptop running OS X (Panther)

Can this be done? easily?

Ive tried the USB connection but this only does the web cam stuff.

Is there any way of copying from the tape to the Hard Disk on the Mac?
    Then I can either burn the video to DVD or CD or even email some clips to family who live far away, rather than sending them tapes through the post.

If so how is this done?

Many Thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To transfer video at full quality onto a PC or Mac you must use a firewire connection. Do a search on this forum for loads more info on firewire.

Mark.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    See my previous post above!

What version of Windows are you useing?
    If you have Win 98se or ME then your HDD is formatted as FAT32. The problem with this is that it can only have files of a maximum size of 2Gb. It vcould be that the captured video is reaching the 2Gb level and therefore the capture needs to stop and create a new file. There are some programs that can get around the 2Gb limit, but the best option is to upgrade to XP and format the HDD as NTFS that has no max file size limits.
    Another thing is to get a decent capture & editing program. There are loads out there at reasonably cheap prices such as Pinnacle Studio, Ulead Video Studio, Sony Vegus etc. These programs all come with software to create & burn a DVD from the edited video.

Mark.

6. becca 250503

becca 250503

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Thanks for the advice, I shall see if I can get hold of one.

What software would I use then?

Or does the camera come up on the desktop as an icon/folder and you just copy over the video clips you want?

Is it like the Sony cybershot memory stick that comes up and you can copy the pic and vids you need onto the hard disk?

Or have I got the wrong idea completly?

Many Thanks again

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    AFAIK all Macs come with built in firewire ports. All you should need is a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable.
    I'm not a Mac user, but doesn't it come with iMovie? This I believe is a very good editing/capture program.
    As the video is on tape you can't just drag the footage onto the PC/Mac, but do need to use software to capture it.

Mark.

8. scramfromroro

scramfromroro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have just bought a sony DCR-HC19E and was told i needed a firewire cable but i have no firewire port on my PC. Is it possible to use the USB cable to transfer to my hard drive. What is the firewire for?
    Please help
    roro

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is possible to use USB if you want low quality video pictures but for high quality and easy transfer you need firewire - a PCI card and cable are quite cheap see HERE they are very simple to fit to your PC taking only a few minutes and virtually no knowledge of a computers insides.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Firewire is the only type of connection for external devices that offers constant high speed transfer rates.
    A camcorder needs a constant transfer rate as the information is coming off a tape that only travels at the one speed. If, as happens with USB, the transfer rate drops then you will get dropped frames that will show up as jerky movement on the footage on a PC, and DVD etc when copied off the PC.

Mark.